Author Topic: Australian companies buying raw honey  (Read 4527 times)

omnimirage

Australian companies buying raw honey
« on: January 20, 2018, 12:00:56 am »
I've been attempting to sell my honey directly to consumers, going to farmers markets to do so. I spent a good 5-9 hours when I do so, and usually make a couple hundred bucks selling honey at $11-13.5 a kilo. It's a lot of time investment for only an average pay off.

I've been told recently by a local beekeeper that it's common for honey distributors to buy honey direct from beekeepers at $9 a kilo. Allegedly, there's no quantity too small, or too large when it comes to selling to them. The idea of saving all that time by simply taking a couple hundred kilos directly to a buyer, to sell all at once at $9 is very appealing and something I want to get into.

Unfortunately, I'm struggling to actually find these businesses. I was told that I can buy some magazine, costs $60 for a yearly subscription and there's a number of advertisements in there from people wishing to buy honey.

Does anyone have any idea of how I could go about finding them? I'm also unsure whether I'd need some sort of official honey supplier bureaucracy thingy in order to sell to such, or whether they might do cash in hand exchanges.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Australian companies buying raw honey
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 12:53:16 am »
Capilanohoney or AB honey both export Australian honey.
http://www.capilanohoney.com/au-en
https://www.abhoney.com.au/honey-exports/
The price they will offer will be based on the type it is, Floral source. But they could give you a wholesale price.
It might be something you need to work into as you may have to have a registered government inspected honey house to sell your honey bulk.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

omnimirage

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 07:25:34 am »
I've did some research and made some phone calls. Looks like I can more sell honey for around $5, I'm guessing that $9 mark is more if I sell directly to retailers.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 01:39:40 pm »
If you had certified pure munuka honey then they would pay a better price.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

omnimirage

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 05:48:02 pm »
Yeah, I have no idea where manuka honey can be created I had thought about that years ago.