Author Topic: I've been robbed!  (Read 8569 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
I've been robbed!
« on: February 16, 2019, 08:09:32 pm »
It was such a strange feeling to walk up to the hives and know someone had been in them.  I was so afraid that irreparable damage had been done.  All three of my hives had been opened.  The first one had a bunch of squished dead bees under the lid.  The second had the two covers askew.  Neither of these hives had any frames missing.

The third hive, though ... the cover was askew, one of the inner covers was on the ground, the cover was propped open with a bowie knife the perpetrator forgot and left.  There was a role of paper on the ground that the perp had used as a smoker.  Somewhere between one and four frames had been taken.

We looked through the hive, and found the queen.

I'm angry that my hives were violated, but so glad it was just someone who wanted honey, not someone who wanted to wreck havoc on the hives.

The bees were really defensive.  You can see the bees all over 3Reds in the first picture. I'm hoping the perp is sporting lots of stings, swelling and itching to last another week.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: I've been robbed!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 08:23:30 pm »
They lost on that one. I'd gladly trade a couple frames of honey for a good Bowie knife.
Yes, let's hope they got enough stings to keep them from coming back.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 08:37:39 pm »
Good Grief! (palm to the forehead) What some folks will do! :o
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 08:49:13 pm »
They lost on that one. I'd gladly trade a couple frames of honey for a good Bowie knife.
Yes, let's hope they got enough stings to keep them from coming back.

It’s a pretty cheap and abused knife. Ozark Trails. I guess it was $30 new, and came with a display tin and a sheath.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 08:52:44 pm »
Sorry for the loss. Hope it doesn’t slow the spring growth.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 08:53:04 pm »
We’ve had to live in Houston the last 4 weeks while I undergo radiation treatment. It’s been cold and rainy every weekend until today, so we’ve not been able to check on the bees like we should have. Still, I think this probably happened yesterday, when the temps were in the 70’s and it was sunny.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 08:56:48 pm »
Sorry for the loss. Hope it doesn’t slow the spring growth.

Yeah, me too. We found the queen, so that’s good. All of the queens seem to be laying. Our feeders were empty. We’ve filled them 1/2 way, and would have left them that way until next weekend. But with the loss of stores, we’ve got to delay our trip back to Houston until I can run out there and top off the feeders.

The thief doesn’t realize he stole mostly sugar water.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 12:16:18 am »
The bees were really defensive.  You can see the bees all over 3Reds in the first picture. I'm hoping the perp is sporting lots of stings, swelling and itching to last another week.
You can bet on the bees leaving a lasting impression on the robbers.  The knife is proof of that.  They will be back.  I have a camera you can borrow.  It has an AT&T chip in it that you can get pictures over the telephone without visiting the hive.  :)
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 08:37:43 am »
maybe there are some fingerprints on the knife. someone who pulls a stunt like this is likely to have their prints on file somewhere.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 11:03:51 am »
You can bet on the bees leaving a lasting impression on the robbers.  The knife is proof of that.  They will be back.  I have a camera you can borrow.  It has an AT&T chip in it that you can get pictures over the telephone without visiting the hive.  :)

Yeah, his returning is what I’m worried about.

The hives ar on a private road. The property was split among 4 siblings after the parents died. No one knows where they are except for family members. My hives are on the piece of land owned by the widower of one of the daughters. He’s the only family member who doesn’t have a home out there, and he is also closest to the FM road. I suspect the perp is a friend of one of the family members. My friend has mentioned several times that a family member has some “strange friends” who frequent her home.

I’ve made a pretty big stink about the robbing via text messages and Facebook. I think the culprit will get found out, and hopefully not return.

You can see the hives from the family road (not the public one) and the road is traveled more than I would expect. I’m hoping for some awareness and family justice.

Thanks for the offer Lee. I use Sprint. I will look into such a camera.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 01:10:12 pm »
Sorry for your loss,  i know I'd be mad.
At the boat shop i work part time, they have surveillance cameras that are battery and solar,  with a app for phone's.  Another thought,  if theres a tree tall enough (tall 4×4 pole) mount some of those fake cameras with the sign that says (smile your on cameras)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 10:48:12 am »
I thought about fingerprints on the knife too, but that only works if the person has been fingerprinted in the past.   I always figured if I started having troubles like that, I would get a camera, and take up the issue in person with photo in hand.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 12:43:48 pm »
lazy- like I said a person who'd do this is likely to have prints in the system. I built a wood box that looks like a bird feeder that I can lock a game camera in. I got that brain f*rt when a friend of mine put up 3 cameras to catch a thief & they stole the cameras.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 01:01:10 pm »
Hi Wman  ;) A well hidden camera, I would not hesitate. It's like a dog killing a chicken, once dog tastes chicken kill, it wont be able to resist ever again. Or, an electric fence.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 07:53:32 am »
I am investigating trail cameras, as well as ideas on how to hide it/them. I need something that will be triggered at a pretty good distance. I’ll have to wait for Friday or Saturday to check out the one I own, to see if T-shirt adequate l my memory is that it triggers at less than 10 feet.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 09:19:34 pm »
A swarm trap would be a natural cover for a game camera.  :yes: ;D

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 08:33:41 am »
That sucks! At least the queens are still okay, and he took mostly sugar water.  Hoping for justice as you said...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 12:14:54 pm »
We went out to feed the bees.  This being the first semi-sunny day with no rain and temps in the 70's, the girls were still grumpy.  That plus they were HUNGRY!  All of our feeders were empty.  Lots of bees, so the hives seem to be healthy.

We counted the frames in the Long Lang that got robbed and figured out that the thieves got away with four frames.  Those poor bees.  They've got a lot to make up.  We added more frames and syrup, but I fear they'll be hungry again before we make it back to the apiary next Saturday.  The good news is things are starting to bloom around here.  Hopefully there will be some nectar to help the bees out.

I received my first bee sting of the year yesterday.  The bees were all over my veil, despite my trying to do something good for them (feeding).  I got in my truck with ton of bees swarming, and drove down the dirt road to the entrance of the property.  By the time I got there, most of the bees were gone.  I got out, checked my reflection in the glass, and decided I was safe.  I removed my gear.  Then, as I opened the back door, I was confronted with about two dozen bees.  I guess there were enough bees in the back seat for them to still feel defensive.  One caught me on the cheekbone before I could crawl back in the truck and continue down the road.  The rest of the bees left me as I returned home.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 12:20:50 pm »
WM,

That's a beekeeper's kiss. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 12:22:00 pm »
WM,

That's a beekeeper's kiss. :)

Interesting that you said that.  I almost wrote that I got my first kiss of the year.  :)