Beekeeping > Beekeeping 101

Dead bees around hive

<< < (3/3)

Bakersdozen:
Can you post a close up picture of some of the dead bees?  That might help.

Even though I live next door to a city park with a fishing pond a stones throw from my hives, I keep bird baths filled with water for 12 months out of the year.  They also like the neighbor's hot tub.  My intention is to keep the bees from finding the hot tub but I think they can be attracted to the smell of the chemicals.  The bird baths are visited, even in winter.  I keep a bird bath heater on it to prevent freezing. Right now, August, they bees are shoulder to shoulder (wing to wing  :laugh:) at the bird bath closest to the hives.

Here's a picture I took yesterday of the favorite bird bath.  Ignore the dirty water.  :laugh:

TheFuzz:
Another year has past, I swept up the dead bees from last year, but haven't touched them since, so there's another year build up of dead bees now. I took some photos:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/Rw8P1fp

As you can see, there's many thousands of dead bees. I think I may know what's doing it though. Notice in the photos, there's quite a huge pile of dead bees built up in front of the window, and also with the hives next to the window. The hives that are further away from the window, don't have a pile up of dead bees.

The window is next to the living room, and often enough there's a light going on inside. This light attracts bees at night, I'm guessing somehow the bees are going to the light at night, and then it's leading them to getting cold and dying over night.

What do you guys think?

iddee:
I think you have your answer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version