Sustainable Living > Farm Livestock

Cows, calves, negative temps

<< < (4/4)

Grandma Bear:
Gypsi, that sounds so interesting! We don't know much of anything about fish though. We have raised so many different kinds of critters over the years that we are usually willing to try almost anything.

The cows are usually not terrible, they are just trying to protect each other and their babies. DD and I have had to round them up and sort and vet and load for market on our own and usually don't have much trouble despite both of us being very petite. The worst incident we've had was that one with the momma charging at the side by side...she normally doesn't do that, but she also hasn't lost a calf before. Up to now the worst we've had to deal with is some bruises on our arms from hopping as quickly as possible over the corral gate, or fighting to keep the head chute still while a cow being vetted is unhappy. But yes, fish sound MUCH easier!

Gypsi:
Fish on the other hand require electricity, at least in Texas, at least the kind I keep and have kept. And the tropical fish industry, fresh and saltwater, took a huge hit out of a weeklong power outage. Stores losing thousands in living inventory, hobbyists losing a lot too. Hobbyists with reef tanks got hit the hardest.   And people with discus, which require very warm temperatures.

Nowadays I mainly service ponds, although I keep a few tropical fish in one commercial tank, and a few at my house. Pond fish handled the cold pretty well. I don't seem to have lost any. Took 2 days thawing to find out.

Grandma Bear:

--- Quote from: Gypsi on February 21, 2021, 04:34:40 pm ---Fish on the other hand require electricity, at least in Texas, at least the kind I keep and have kept. And the tropical fish industry, fresh and saltwater, took a huge hit out of a weeklong power outage. Stores losing thousands in living inventory, hobbyists losing a lot too. Hobbyists with reef tanks got hit the hardest.   And people with discus, which require very warm temperatures.

Nowadays I mainly service ponds, although I keep a few tropical fish in one commercial tank, and a few at my house. Pond fish handled the cold pretty well. I don't seem to have lost any. Took 2 days thawing to find out.

--- End quote ---

That had to be super stressful! I'm so glad that it seems you haven't suffered losses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version