Author Topic: New Honey or is it?  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
New Honey or is it?
« on: June 03, 2021, 02:30:37 pm »
https://www.kshb.com/news/national/its-all-the-buzz-mysterious-new-honey-stumped-beekeepers?fbclid=IwAR1salUocNsEypb8-TslMO5DT8Pq7U2UjrvwPfzGm7j68BGNiFMOqrY2zYc
This is an interesting article about a new varietal honey.  If I understand correctly, the bees are really accessing the honey dew left by the Asian Lanternfly.  That would make it an adulterated Honey, correct?

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: New Honey or is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 06:42:05 pm »
If I remember correctly, the FDA defines honey as being produced by honeybees from the secretions of plants, so legally I guess so.  I personally wouldn't consider honey dew honey adulterated though, as that term to me implies something was added to the honey through artificial means.  With honey dew, bees are still collecting a sugary substance out in nature and processing it into honey, it just happened to come from an insect instead of a plant.  In my mind that is different from bees visiting a sugar water feeder or getting into snow cone syrup, but maybe that is just me.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: New Honey or is it?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 10:40:42 am »
I probably overreacted.  Imagine that!  :D  I still don't think I am interested.  But if I had barrels of it, like this beekeeper, I would want to make the most the situation too.