Author Topic: How to clean this honey extractor?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline TheFuzz

How to clean this honey extractor?
« on: October 09, 2021, 07:11:23 pm »
The instructions are really vague. Its difficult and awkward to clean because one side of it doesn't open up. It sort of looks like it can be unscrewed to then properly clean it but I'm not sure, I'm concerned I'll damage it that way.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/DfrZQTx

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: How to clean this honey extractor?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 01:15:06 pm »
I am assuming that when the instructions refer to a neutral detergent, it means Ph neutral.  I don't know what else they would be referring to.  I have been told not to use detergent as it leaves a film inside the machine.
It is my understanding that you want to start with cool or cold water to remove any wax.  You may have to use your finger nail or something to help with this job.  Once the wax is removed begin using hot water and flush the tank.  I would attempt to close the gate and fill with hot water and then run the machine.  Hopefully this would remove honey from any hard to reach spots.  You may have to do this several times. 
I use a piece of medical equipment that is a hose and attach that to my faucet.  This allows me to spray all areas of the inside of the extractor. 
When clean, you can take a hair dryer to dry out the inside or place in a warm, well ventilated area.
If the basket unit comes out, there may be a ball bearing that is sets on top of that might need some cleaning.  Be careful not to lose the ball bearing!  Hopefully it's a stainless steel ball bearing so that it doesn't rust.