Author Topic: what to do, what to do?  (Read 916 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
what to do, what to do?
« on: April 25, 2022, 10:21:03 am »
Hey Everyone,
I have 10 colonies right now.  They were treated with OAV on 4/5/22.  On Thursday 4/21/22 I inspected them as the temps were mid 70's.  I found no brood in any of them.  The population in 4 of them was amazing, literally had to shake bees off the frames to inspect.  The population was lower in the remaining 6 but what I would consider normal for this time of year.  I waited 2 days then went in for a second look.  At that time I found a small amount of very young brood in 5 of the hives. None in the remaining 5 colonies. I also was unable to locate any queens though to be fair my queens are just locally mated mutts that are dark and therefore harder for me to see.  At the time I thought I'd give it another week then check again and if necessary and possible I'd put a frame of eggs in each of the no brood hives with thoughts of killing any queen cells built and installing new purchased queens.  Sounds good so far.  The problem?  The weather is not going to cooperate. The 10 day forecast shows no days above mid 60's.  As I see it, I have 2 options, just add purchased queens quickly and hope for the best or just ride it out as is and see where I end up.  I don't care for either of those options.  Any thoughts or comments?  Thanks, Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: what to do, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 10:44:27 am »
Mid 60s isn’t terrible.  We are working bees up here in the low 50’s, upper 40’s at the moment. Not ideal, but doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 11:26:44 am »
Really? I always thought you shouldn't open a hive for more than a quick add sugar in the 40's and 50's. learning something new every day! So, to be clear, I can go through hives looking for eggs in the mid 60's, correct?  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 12:06:42 pm »
Ted! Hi There! So glad to see you :)

One of our esteemed members of our bee club said that he had been in hives at 35 degrees, it was a quick get in the hive and get out, and to do a check like that in the morning so the bees have time to warm up the colony again before dark.

He added that it's not the bees themselves, nor the capped brood, that would suffer a temporary cold snap, it's the eggs that are most fragile of being exposed, and the eggs are deep in their cells. 

I haven't had the need to test this lesson tho. But I have gone thru a hive from time to time at around 50 degrees, and all went well.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 12:36:56 pm »
Hey guys, glad to see everyone still up and going.

I think my plan will be to check the no-brooders  again in 1 week and if still no brood order queens. I think.  My plan seems to change by the hour but thats where i am right now. Maybe. That's why I like to take time and mull instead of knee-jerk reactions.  Ted

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 03:49:28 pm »
A lot of people do dumb things.

Bees begin clustering at 55 F. They are in full cluster at 42 F. From 43 F. to 55 F., they are in partial cluster.

I will do anything in a hive above 55 F. that does not chill brood and that the bees don't run me out.

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 04:00:46 pm »
Hi Iddee,
At what temp will brood chill?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 04:46:57 pm »
You have to guess. It is kept at about 94 F. in the hive. Chill depends on time and temp.  I would say above 60 should give you a good 2 to 4 minutes to observe a frame with bees on it. 3 to 4 frames while hive is open. That is, with calm and sunny. Above 70 F. should allow open hive for 30 minutes and 3 to 5 minutes each frame.
This is just a guess of approx, times, so adjust according to personal feelings.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 10:48:29 pm »
Yeah what Iddee said... and HERE it also depends on the WIND....   if we have 40 mph winds its going to be hard on them and you, they will be cranky....    Hoping to get into my hives in the next few days again, supposed to be in the 60's here for the next few days, if it isnt raining
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*