Author Topic: What's Cookin'  (Read 44987 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: What's Cookin'
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2022, 07:44:50 pm »
We have a big bed of mint at the side of the house, and all summer my mom will make what we call "summer tea".  Some people call it "meadow tea".  She steeps the mint leaves in water and then makes a syrup out of that.  Then to make the actual drink she adds the syrup concentrate to water with a little bit of lemon juice.  I think it's good, but most of the people in our family go crazy for it.

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2022, 08:26:28 pm »
Wilted lettuce and spinach salad for dinner.   No pictures, but man it was good.  Fixed baked potatoes in the air fryer to go with it.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2022, 09:11:27 pm »
Wilted lettuce and spinach salad for dinner.   No pictures, but man it was good.  Fixed baked potatoes in the air fryer to go with it.
What does this mean?  I've never heard of eating wilted lettuce before. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2022, 01:26:54 am »
YUM Baker! And did you know that the wilted salads are so much easier for people with tender gut problems to eat.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline .30WCF

What's Cookin'
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2022, 07:13:46 am »
15, I make wilted spinach sometimes. I’m not sure it’s the same as this though. Mine is some olive oil in a cast iron pan, chopped garlic and an oversized mound of fresh spinach piled crazy high in the pan. Medium heat for a few minutes tossing regularly will soften, darken and reduce the pile of leaves to what I would call wilted spinach. We eat it just like that.
You could add red pepper flake, mushrooms or cream it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 07:14:04 am by .30WCF »

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2022, 09:50:08 am »

I grew up on this. It's great for leaf lettuce out of the garden.  I added young spinach to make it a little more nutritional.  There's probably a recipe on line, but this is what I did.
Chopped leaf lettuce and spinach and put in large bowl.  You can add chopped green onions or some sliced red onion.  I used red onion.
Fried enough bacon to have 2 or 3 +/- Tablespoons of bacon grease.
Drain the bacon and chop. Set aside.
To the warm bacon grease add a dash of black pepper, a pinch or two of salt, a few red chili flakes, one chopped garlic, and a couple tablespoons of sugar.  Heat frying pan with these ingredients, stirring, and add a splash or two of cider vinegar.  Cook until this boils.  Add the chopped bacon back in the pan and stir.   Pour this over the bowl of lettuce and toss.  Eat while warm.

.30WCF,  I have made your spinach dish with mushrooms many times.  I just call that sauteed spinach.  Works well with Kale or Swiss Chard too.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2022, 06:20:08 pm »
15, I make wilted spinach sometimes. I’m not sure it’s the same as this though. Mine is some olive oil in a cast iron pan, chopped garlic and an oversized mound of fresh spinach piled crazy high in the pan. Medium heat for a few minutes tossing regularly will soften, darken and reduce the pile of leaves to what I would call wilted spinach. We eat it just like that.
You could add red pepper flake, mushrooms or cream it.
I grew up on this. It's great for leaf lettuce out of the garden.  I added young spinach to make it a little more nutritional.  There's probably a recipe on line, but this is what I did.
Chopped leaf lettuce and spinach and put in large bowl.  You can add chopped green onions or some sliced red onion.  I used red onion.
To the warm bacon grease add a dash of black pepper, a pinch or two of salt, a few red chili flakes, one chopped garlic, and a couple tablespoons of sugar.  Heat frying pan with these ingredients, stirring, and add a splash or two of cider vinegar.  Cook until this boils.  Add the chopped bacon back in the pan and stir.   Pour this over the bowl of lettuce and toss.  Eat while warm.

.30WCF,  I have made your spinach dish with mushrooms many times.  I just call that sauteed spinach.  Works well with Kale or Swiss Chard too.
Oh wow, both of those recipes sound great!  I'll have to talk to my mom about it and see if she's familiar with making something like that. 

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2022, 07:11:42 pm »

You lost her at cider vinegar.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2022, 07:21:02 pm »
:D  It's always easy to substitute.  :)

Offline .30WCF

What's Cookin'
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2022, 07:40:07 pm »
Baker,
Your recipe sounds just like my Brussels sprouts, except I use all the bacon grease, add the garlic and pepper flake then cook the sprouts until they start to crisp and char around the edges.  Never added sugar to the sprouts, but it might be worth a try, maybe a splash of honey.

I was looking for a picture of the sprouts and found a plate of lasagna with both sides.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 07:40:36 pm by .30WCF »

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2022, 10:18:02 am »
.30WCF,  Love Brussel Sprouts!  I will have to try that.
We go through a lot of bacon when it's BLT season.  Lettuce is ready now, but the tomatoes aren't even blooming yet.

15th, I would think red wine vinegar would go well with wilted lettuce.  Use what you got!  Made it again last night.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2022, 06:56:14 pm »
Seriously asking, what do you sub it out with?
White vinegar burns my nose hairs and left eye melts a little.
I do like balsamic, but it’s a whole different profile. I’m not sure I would want to soak a cucumber in balsamic, rice wine or white vinegar. But I never tried.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2022, 07:04:22 pm »
Seriously asking, what do you sub it out with?
White vinegar burns my nose hairs and left eye melts a little.
I do like balsamic, but it’s a whole different profile. I’m not sure I would want to soak a cucumber in balsamic, rice wine or white vinegar. But I never tried.
I'd probably go for white vinegar first.  I LOVE white vinegar.  I'd probably drink it straight up if I could.  I love the smell of it when I'm cleaning with it.  Sometimes I just sniff the bottle for fun.  I agree that balsamic would be too savory.  If I wanted a flavored vinegar, or a sweeter one, I'd go for another fruit vinegar.  Perhaps the strawberry vinegar we are working on making right now. . . .  My mom learned recently that you can make vinegar out of almost any fruit scraps pretty easily, so the possibilities are now endless. 

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2022, 06:52:59 pm »
Boy, are we ever having a good run of food right now!  Both my sister and I have our birthday this weekend, so we got to choose whatever we wanted for supper.  Last night we had imitation Chik-fil-a nuggets and waffle fries.  I had the leftover nuggets cold for lunch in the bee yard today, and they were delicious!

Tonight we are having my favorite meal in the whole world: steak tips and mushrooms!  *Choir singing*  O:-)

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2022, 07:51:21 pm »
Happy birthday. Nice looking couple meals.

The following users thanked this post: The15thMember

Offline .30WCF

What's Cookin'
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2022, 09:50:05 am »
Grilled up some burgers last nite.
Made some sauce that’s great on the burger and great for dipping the fries into.
Toasted bun, egg, white sharp cheddar and America.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 09:56:07 am by .30WCF »

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2022, 10:01:25 am »
Last night we also made queso cheese sauce for tonight if you want to start placing bets on what’s for dinner tonight.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2022, 12:08:57 pm »
Something Mexican?  Nachos?  Tacos?  Tostadas (we're having those on Monday I think)?  Enchiladas?  And I am now just playing a game with myself where I see how many different Mexican dishes I can come up with.  :D

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2022, 05:39:20 pm »

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2022, 05:41:39 pm »
Poblano Peppers roasted and sweating.