Author Topic: What's Cookin'  (Read 44946 times)

Offline .30WCF

Re: What's Cookin'
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2022, 07:31:18 pm »
I'm convinced if I were you I'd be 500 lbs!  :yes:

This thread is a bad idea when hungry!
Elk season is around the corner. I’m gonna have to clean it up soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2022, 11:15:40 am »

:yah: :t3816:

.30WCF, M&M pancakes?  Pancakes with M&Ms in them?  When I worked at the children's home, on Saturday mornings I would often make homemade pancakes for 100 people.  I would usually add chocolate chips, blueberries, chopped pecans, rainbow sprinkles, etc.  Anything I could find in the storeroom!  The kids loved it. Toppings made from fruits like blueberries, apples, and strawberries were always popular too,

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2022, 11:40:19 am »

.30WCF, M&M pancakes?  Pancakes with M&Ms in them?  When I worked at the children's home, on Saturday mornings I would often make homemade pancakes for 100 people.  I would usually add chocolate chips, blueberries, chopped pecans, rainbow sprinkles, etc.  Anything I could find in the storeroom!  The kids loved it. Toppings made from fruits like blueberries, apples, and strawberries were always popular too,
My girls love candy in their pancakes soaked in syrup and covered in sugar.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2022, 10:22:45 am »

My girls love candy in their pancakes soaked in syrup and covered in sugar.

I've been into using honey on my blueberry pancakes lately instead of syrup.  Real maple syrup is so expensive, and that fake stuff is so. . . fake, and I had honey on crepes once when I was on vacation, so I just figured, why not pancakes? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2022, 09:43:19 pm »
Tonight we had fried catfish, homemade hush puppies, and wilted beet greens with bacon.  :)  My mom was looking for a way to use up the beet greens, so it timed out well with our conversation. 

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2022, 11:21:35 pm »
Can’t go wrong with that. How were the greens? I’ve never done greens like that.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2022, 08:07:54 am »
Yep this thread is a terrible idea if your hungry
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2022, 10:24:03 am »
Can’t go wrong with that. How were the greens? I’ve never done greens like that.
GREAT!  I LOVED them.  She also tried making them in olive oil with garlic and they were not good.  But bacon fixes everything.  :yes:

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2022, 01:14:40 pm »

I've been into using honey on my blueberry pancakes lately instead of syrup.  Real maple syrup is so expensive, and that fake stuff is so. . . fake, and I had honey on crepes once when I was on vacation, so I just figured, why not pancakes?
[/quote]

I saw a product on the grocery store shelf recently.  It's called something like TreeHive.  Half maple syrup, half honey. 

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2022, 05:25:15 pm »
My sister has been experimenting with soft cheese from her goat's milk for a while, and she's gotten really good at it lately, but this week she made her first hard cheese: colby.  After resting a few days, today we waxed it in beeswax mixed with a little coconut oil to make it more pliable.  Now it will age in her "cheese cave", which is the real term for where you put cheese to age; for us it's an old fridge in the garage that's set to be between 45-60 F.  We'll be able to eat it in July.  :)

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2022, 06:40:16 pm »
I've been totally slacking off on this thread lately.  I took some pictures for it, but we've been fishing a lot after supper so I never seem to have time to post them.  Here's some backlogged ones to satisfy everyone. 

Last week my little sister, who is becoming quite a cook lately, made lasagna soup, cucumber and tomato salad, and pepper biscuit pull-aparts. 

You know how some people do Christmas in July?  Well in our house we do Thanksgiving in July.  We feel like Thanksgiving dinner is just too economical and too good to have it only once a year, so some time around the middle of summer we always do a turkey.  We have smoked one in the past, but we just baked it like normal this year.  We also have the cornerstone sides of our Thanksgiving meal, but there are things like pumpkin roll/pie, creamed corn, and cranberry sauce that we don't have in the summer and are only saved for the real thing in November.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2022, 08:39:17 pm »
My wife made salmon, squash casserole, potatoes,and a little left over corn.
Pretty good!!

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2022, 08:38:54 am »
My wife made salmon, squash casserole, potatoes,and a little left over corn.
Pretty good!!

I made salmon too! with roasted potatoes.

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2022, 07:16:43 pm »
Leftover squash casserole, and fresh sweet potato casserole with cube steak and gravy.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2022, 07:37:35 pm »
Leftover squash casserole, and fresh sweet potato casserole with cube steak and gravy.

What's with the Thanksgiving sides, man?!   
My mom would call that chicken-fried steak.  She tried to make it once, but it was tough and not good.  Do you have a recipe for that, or are you just winging it?  Any tips? 

I'll do something a little different and post our brunch from this morning.  My mom always makes a big brunch on Sunday, and then we don't really eat lunch, just a snack and then a light supper.  This morning we had bacon, hotel style eggs, and strawberry cream cheese pastries with patriotic sprinkles.  :)

Offline .30WCF

What's Cookin'
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2022, 07:42:35 pm »
Usually I cook, but my wife has the last couple nights. The kids picked the sides and helped. I think the marshmallows was what sold them…

The cube steak was pre-cubed from the store. (Scored all over, almost minced) Breaded and fried, then 6 hrs in a crock pot.  Gravy made from the juices, and served over potatoes.

We had a Yankee Candle, Harvest Candle going today. I do miss fall.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 07:47:32 pm by .30WCF »

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2022, 07:56:45 pm »
Usually I cook, but my wife has the last couple nights. The kids picked the sides and helped. I think the marshmallows was what sold them…

The cube steak was pre-cubed from the store. (Scored all over, almost minced) Breaded and fried, then 6 hrs in a crock pot.  Gravy made from the juices, and served over potatoes.

Mom wants to know what you are putting in the crock pot with it.  Water?  Broth?  Nothing? 

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2022, 04:24:07 pm »

Mom wants to know what you are putting in the crock pot with it.  Water?  Broth?  Nothing?
The pan drippings and buttermilk with some salt and pepper, thickened into a gravy with some flour then everything into the crock pot.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2022, 05:37:09 pm »

The pan drippings and buttermilk with some salt and pepper, thickened into a gravy with some flour then everything into the crock pot.
Thanks!  She said she'll give it a try sometime.  The crock pot is the automatic fix for making things tender, I guess.  We crock pot our home raised rabbits a lot, since they are so lean. 

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2022, 10:14:49 pm »
The 4th was steak, home made scalloped potatoes, corn and the last of the squash. The steak got away from her and just a tad over done, but it was great.