Author Topic: Fall mite treatment  (Read 2311 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Fall mite treatment
« on: July 06, 2022, 04:34:02 pm »
Hey Everyone,
I've been using oxalic vapors only and decided that while there may be no built up resistance to that I'd rather start mixing it up.  My question is what treatment option do you folks use? Upsides? Downsides?  I'm leaning towards MAQS because of the shorter (1 week) treatment time but have made no definate decision yet. Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Fall mite treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 04:39:46 pm »
I only have experience with hops guard - used it once - OA otherwise for me!
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 05:32:34 pm »
I've used MAQS/FormicPro several times, almost all with great success.  The last time I used it, one of the packages simply didn't work, although another package from a different batch I was using at the same time did, so it could be I just had a dud batch for some reason.  It's easy to apply, has a short treatment period, is organic, is reasonably priced, and, my favorite part, it kills mites under capped brood.  There are complaints with it causing absconding or queen supersedure, but in my experience, as long as it's used at the lower end of its acceptable temperature range, all my bees ever do is fan a little bit.  I use slatted racks on most of my hives, which probably also helps with air circulation.  The parent company Nod Apiaries has an outstanding FAQ section on their website about the product, which should tell you everything you need to know.  Just FYI, Mite Away Quick Strips is technically no longer in manufacture and has been surpassed by FormicPro, which is essentially the same product, just with slightly different formulation and packaging.  I have used both iterations of the product and found FormicPro to be much easier to apply than MAQS. 

https://nodglobal.com/frequently-asked-questions-formic-pro/
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 07:40:49 am »
One of the best resources for varroa management is https://honeybeehealthcoalition.org/resources/varroa-management/.  The Varroa Management Guide section gives choices available depending on the season.  Notes about each of the product are included to help make the decision easier.
The following users thanked this post: LazyBkpr

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 11:14:54 am »
Thank you all for the responces!  Checking links now.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 09:37:20 pm »
Nice link Bakers tyvm!        I use OA in the sping, and to mix things up a little I use OA in August and to further mix things up I use OA in October!   Once upon a time, I did the three treatment thing...  use it once, wait a week, use it again, wait two weeks and use it a third time to make sure I got the emerging mites etc...  WHICH, is the recommended method.   but it knocks the mites down REALLY well and my bees seem to do pretty good with two spring treatments, an august treatment and then two fall treatments...     ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline RAST

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 09:00:02 pm »
LazyBkpr, what application method do you use?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2022, 09:11:09 pm »
Hey Lazy, how many hives are your running now?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 09:54:31 pm »
I use varox Vaporizors. I have two so I can leap frog them.   Currently I only have eight Hives. I was down to three, I split, made some queens, and eight of the ten exploded, two dwindled so I shook them out. I hope to double the number next year and get back up to where I want to be!  This year I am trying to solidify the bees I have.. So far I have avoided swarming and have boxes seven mediums high, so there should be some honey to gather next month!!!!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*