Beekeeping > General Beekeeping

Yellow Jacket Nest in Apiary

(1/5) > >>

The15thMember:
When I was inspecting one of my hives today, I noticed yellow jackets coming and going from a hole in the ground about a yard behind my hives.  They weren't bothersome, since the weather is nice and warm and there is plenty of prey for them to find, but I imagine they will become trouble once fall hits.  Since the nest is in my apiary, right next to my hives, I'm not really comfortable using a hard chemical insecticide on the entrance, as my bees are right there.  How can I destroy the nest in a way that is safe for the bees? 

Zweefer:
1 tbsp dish soap for every liter of water - mix and apply. I find Dawn works well.

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Zweefer on July 08, 2022, 03:45:17 pm ---1 tbsp dish soap for every liter of water - mix and apply. I find Dawn works well.

--- End quote ---
Just dump it down the hole?  That would probably work.  Our soil is mostly clay, so I shouldn't have too much trouble with the water percolating out too quickly. 

Zweefer:
Yep. Or you could put it in a sprayer if you are feeling ambitious.  I usually just mix up an empty two liter and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Zweefer on July 08, 2022, 03:48:16 pm ---Yep. Or you could put it in a sprayer if you are feeling ambitious.  I usually just mix up an empty two liter and call it good.

--- End quote ---
I'm thinking a flood is more devastating than a downpour.  *Rubs hands together like a supervillain.*  They won't even know what hit them! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version