Sustainable Living > Homestead

Am I Being Silly?

(1/7) > >>

.30WCF:
I have an 1100sqf house in central NC. I have been running a England or Summers Heat, or whatever brand and you want to call it, in 2000sqf flavor stove for about 5 years. I got the 2k size cause it was a deal at the time, and I thought I’d rather have overkill than underkill. Now, I only ever run 2 splits and a time. If I burn 3 splits, you can’t stand it, and I get a little worried if I see 650-700 on the stovetop since the book says 600, if I recall correctly. That’s probably just my naive self, trying to follow the rules and all, but about 400 at the stove top is about right for the space as well.

I’ve been looking for about a year at other options. I’m was all about a nice enamel stove for a while, a soapstone, or something nice, but I don’t think I want to spend $3k till I know what fits.

My stove is also too big for the room aesthetically.

B05C698B-EFB2-4FCB-88B0-1B70364BC547.jpeg

So I’m thinking of trying out a smaller stove, but it looks like, in general, at 1100sqf, I’m either maxing out a stove, or right back where I am.

So do I keep slow rolling what I have, or go with an Drolet Fox2 https://www.drolet.ca/us/en/wood-stoves/db03186/ or US Stove Defender https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...defender-wood-burning-stove-on-legs-us1100e-l ? These meet my clearances without either building something or putting it further out into the living room of an already small room by using some 45* bends in the pipe.

I like the stepped stovetop and legs better on the Defender better. I like the fox on the door of the Fox, and its North American manufacturing gives me a fuzzier feeling.

The US is an E/W loader, and the Fox is a N/S loader. This means that the US is going to appear a little more inline with the wall than the Drolet, even though based off flue location, they will both extend into the room roughly the same.

Seems like for the size of them, the N/S loading will be better than trying to stuff a small box E/W, and potentially spilling against the glass as it burns down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iddee:
Sounds like you need to fix your draft and keep what you have. With the draft fully closed, the fire should go out, even with 3 or 4 sticks.

.30WCF:
I’m familiar with how stoves used to run, but the newer stuff is EPA this and that. I suppose I could add a damper, but I’m not supposed to install it or need it. Newer stuff has very little air adjustment and no way to really shut them down.

.30WCF:
Pulled the trigger on a Vermont Castings Aspen C3. So far, so good. I’m still trying to learn it’s temperament, but I can feed it at bed time and relight off coals in the morning.
It also seems to fit the space a lot better than the old behemoth if anybody needs a used stove.

.30WCF:
Also got around to dragging out the old dynamite box out of the building for kindling. Been meaning to do that for a while.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version