Sustainable Living > Preserving Food

Fermenting

(1/3) > >>

The15thMember:
I made some homemade sauerkraut for the first time today.  I've done fermented honey garlic before, but this is the first vegetable ferment I have done.  Anyone else doing any fermenting?

iddee:
I haven't lately, but I made 5 gallons of kraut in a 6 gallon croc every year for several years. Start tasting it on day 3. Then taste every day until desired strength is acquired. 7 days should be about max, depending on temps.

The15thMember:
We ate some kraut for the first time tonight with our meal.  It's not quite there yet, but it went with our meal tonight so we had some anyway.  It was GOOD.  I'm sure it'll be even better when it gets a little more sour, as it was still quite mild today.

Bakersdozen:
I've not made kraut before, but I have made Kimchi.  I got it too hot for me to eat, but the kids liked it.

Jen:
My daughter is the fermenter in the fam. She loves the honey garlic and makes her own kimchi amongst other things. Fermented foods are not my favorite food, but in recent months I have found that fermentated foods sure can help my later in life cranky digestion. Been putting some store bought kraut on my breakfast and dinner plate, and do believe there is some relief in the gut.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version