Author Topic: Donating money for bees  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Donating money for bees
« on: December 03, 2022, 12:45:33 pm »
I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, so move it if it belongs somewhere else:

We are thinking about making a small donation for beekeeping to either Heifer International or Samaritan's Purse.

Both claim they will provide a hive, bees, and training to a family.  Samaritan's Purse says it will go to a family in remote Iraq.  Heifer International does not say where it will go, but their models in the photo have Hispanic names.

Does anyone here have any insight into these organizations?  We have donated to both in the past, but this is the first time we realized Samaritan's Purse offers Animal gifts.

Heifer International asks for a donation of $30, Samaritan's Purse asks for $20.

For $2,500 I can donate a Honey Bee Farm through Heifer International.  But that's beyond our budget.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Donating money for bees
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 01:32:34 pm »
I don't know anything about either. I have always been able to find young people locally, ""within 100 miles"" to donate bees and equipment to get them started and help with their overall financial condition. I never had to reach outside the USA. That way, all my money goes to the needy, not to ""admin"" expenses.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 02:08:06 pm »
I didn't mention, that we are doing this "In Honor of" people that we want to let know that we are thinking of them for Christmas.

Donations "in the name of ..." are sometimes useful for people we don't know well enough to buy a gift.  And a donation of bees just seems like something people might expect of us.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 03:05:18 pm »
Good subject here Wman. I'm leaning towards staying within the USA.

However, if I knew of some Ukranian beekeepers here in the US, I would help them as well.
There Is Peace In The Queendom
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 10:37:18 pm »
I also found this site, which has a special category for Ukrainian beekeepers.  It sounds like they intend to hold onto any donations for Ukraine until it is safe for the beekeepers to return:

https://www.beesfordevelopment.org/about-us/

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 10:08:09 am »
Our local bee club had a scholarship student who has turned out to be a great success story.  More on that at another time.  He donated his first year honey sales to Heifer International and included that in his presentation to our club.  It was a very rewarding experience for him.  He and his mother, a veterinarian, strongly encouraged involvement with Heifer International.  I don't know anything about Samaritan's Purse.