Author Topic: Short Distance Apiary Move  (Read 2155 times)

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Short Distance Apiary Move
« on: March 14, 2023, 12:10:15 am »
Retirement from the PD is closing in and we have always planned to downsize from our 4500 sq ft home to a smaller one here in Indiana.  Our current home will go live on the market April 3rd.  We are also looking for a small place in the panhandle of Florida withing 30 minutes of Pensacola and Navarre.  So, I needed to relocate my apiary before supering time.  I dreaded moving them on a trailer but my neighbor was gracious enough to allow me to move all my hives to her property.  I only had to cart them 40 yards or so.  They were still heavy!  It has been a very mild winter and the bees have already started filling the hives with nectar and bees!  I purposefully kept my hive count at 10 from 25 with a move in mind.  Today was below freezing and snowing.  Perfect time to move them so I did not have to do it at night.  I just stuffed a large foam strip in the entrance, strapped, lifted and wheeled to the new spot, and lifted again.  I only got stung once but it was because I pushed the hive back on the blocks and bottom slid off a little.  Whoooooo baby!   My back, ha!

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Short Distance Apiary Move
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 04:45:00 am »
NICE!!! Glad to see you back posting. Hope your plans work out well.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 09:16:49 pm »
Those short moves are a lot more doable than the long ones. Looking forward to my fist sting of the year, kind of jellyus!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 11:27:22 am »
Hi Blueblood :) Oh how I love hearing from our original members. My fav photo? the single hive out there all by it's lonesome, but I know it wasn't for long.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 11:48:04 am »
Debbie Downer here!  :D

I would be concerned about moving the bees in freezing temperatures when they are clustered.  A sudden jerk could cause the cluster of bees to fall leaving the queen exposed or where they can't access food stores.