Author Topic: Netflix Cancelling DVD Service  (Read 2154 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Netflix Cancelling DVD Service
« on: April 19, 2023, 10:46:19 am »
I got an e-mail from Netflix today that they are cancelling their DVD shipping service, which is basically irreplaceable to me.  I know I'm probably behind the times here, but my family has had Netflix for almost 20 years, and I watch a HUGE variety of movies, movies from every genre, every decade, every studio.  I can't possibly find that variety in a single streaming service, or even several.  I'm far less into variety in TV series than in movies, and the inability to have almost every movie ever made accessible to watch is going to severely limit my ability to curate my Friday movie night.  I'm super bummed out.  Anyone have any recommendations on how to replace DVD Netflix?  What streaming services have you tried, and which have you liked?  Which have the best selection of movies? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Netflix Cancelling DVD Service
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 11:43:56 am »
We switched to streaming services about a year ago.  We have Google fiber here and had been using their television.  They eliminated that and suggested 3 streaming services.  You Tube, Sling and FuboTV. https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/best-live-tv-streaming-service-for-cord-cutters/  This article has a comparison chart to get you on your way to a decision.
We went with You Tube because of the content they offer fits our needs better.  But we also have added Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, Apple and Amazon Prime.  Now that sounds like a lot of tv.  We subscribed to Apple so we could watch Ted Lasso,  HBO Max for something my husband likes (I don't know what he watches), Hulu for Murders Only In The Building, etc.  You get the idea.  Netflix is the most watched because of the variety of content.  Of course all this adds up. But it is our one source of entertainment other than reading.

The nice feature of streaming content is you can set your tv up like a DVR.  Pause, replay, fast forward, record, and watch when you want to watch features are fantastic.  This old gal, who grew up with a B/W tv that only got one channel is amazed.
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Netflix Cancelling DVD Service
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 01:23:28 pm »
I pay for Netflix and Hulu - Amazon prime is another great one as it is free with your membership.  I don’t really watch all that much television though, so can’t comment on selection.
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember