Author Topic: This Forum's Listing  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Barbarian

This Forum's Listing
« on: February 22, 2014, 02:37:30 pm »
When I put worldwidebeekeeping.com into my search box it comes up with several alternative sites. I click on the top site which has an exact match to the address I have inserted.

My concern is that the text of the site only mentions beekeeping in the title. The rest of the text seems to refer to smallholding activities.

Could the forum be loosing guests who want something about beekeeping ?
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: This Forum's Listing
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 03:50:26 pm »
Not sure what you mean. When I search, the first 4 are direct links to here. The 5th is to JPthebeeman's site, He has a link to here on his site.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 04:08:15 pm »
hrm, checked it through my AVG secure search and came up with..   Beekeeping suits at Amazon.com, Mann Lake LTD Beekeeping, Beekeeping supplies | GreenBeehives.com, and World Wide Beekeeping Forum..   15 results on the first page, only one to this forum.

On the other computer with Firefox, the FIRST link is to this forum with a listing of topics. after that there are 6 misc links, and then a link to World Wide Beekeeping Community..  sort of a blog/chat type site???  Fellow name Richard Soundy relying to the different posts...
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 04:16:03 pm »
What did you put in the search box, lazy. I put the same as barbarian said.  worldwidebeekeeping.com
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 04:26:36 pm »
World Wide Beekeeping Forum
Homestead. Farm and home equipment, tools, machinery, woodstoves, knitting, spinning, or even country toys. 139 Posts 10 Topics Last post by mamapoppybee
worldwidebeekeeping.com   More from worldwidebeekeeping.com
Frank

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 04:29:55 pm »
 worldwidebeekeeping.com   Yep, same thing.. probably has a lot to do with the browser and location.

*Sponsor*

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 04:34:34 pm »
I am certainly not server savvy but is there not a strategy of putting tags on a listing so that any search with those tags will include the site on the search queue instead of only when the words "world wide beekeeping" are entered in the search. Barbarian's search might go through European google and not be queued the same.

Edit; go to Yahoo.com and do a search for  worldwidebeekeeping.com and see something different again. I think Barbarian has a good point.
Frank

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 06:06:33 pm »
Thanks Crofter...... Your reply no. 4 is exactly what I got when I searched.

I did my search with DuckDuckGo.     A search with Firefox produced the forums web addresses.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline Zulu

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 10:05:40 pm »
Each time you search using engines like Google etc, you will get a list of sites specific to your computer.  If you are logged into google , then A very similar list will appear on all your computers

The algorithm remembers all sites you have visited ..... Which is how they target ads to you specifically. So the small holding stuff appearing is because you have recently searched for sites about small holdings most likely.

If you clean up your cache and history, only then do you get clean search.

Tags in the header of the site help you find sites like this, and the more tags used , the easier, plus of course the more people who have specifically requested this site, the higher up the listing it will appear next time.

Duckduckgo is one of the purest of the new search engines, but you can achieve similar results using private browsing on most of the browser apps.
Zulu's Bees

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 07:11:37 am »
DuckDuckGo!

Who comes up with these names?  :P
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 11:08:34 am »
Great info Zulu! Thanks!

*Sponsor*

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 11:08:28 pm »
duckduckgo for when you don't want to be fed the list of what google wants you to browse. I have been using it for the past year and like it. if you want to search for sites that are not indexed for the standard search engines you can download and use a browser like Torch.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.