Author Topic: Waynes queens?  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

Waynes queens?
« on: October 08, 2014, 01:55:17 pm »
Friend sent a E mail.
 know anything about a queen called waynes queen.

Says they seem to have a good rep in parts of NY and PA.

:)  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
Re: Waynes queens?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 02:07:03 pm »
Get with Iddee on them he has a hive that has never been treated that belonged to a keep named wayne years ago. He can fix you up.
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 04:21:08 pm »
Wayne Rich, of Sophia, NC began beekeeping sometime in the 1960's as a hobby to have honey for his family and pollinate the family farm. He only knew what the older local beeks taught him and what he learned from experience. He never medicated a hive in any way. He had the normal die off and the normal swarm catches that were common in those days. By 1987, he had approx. twenty five hives. When the mites showed up he lost all but one hive. That hive survived and begin casting swarms. Some lived, some died. In 2001, Wayne had 5 strong hives. He gave me a swarm from one of them that year. I placed that colony in a yard by itself and began to catch swarms, make splits, use swarm cells to start nucs, and use eggs and larva from that hive to bait trap outs. Of all the colonies I have started from that hive, and it has been many, none have ever been reported to have died from mites. None, as far as I know, have ever been treated. When I let someone have one, I asked to have them marked and traced, not treated, and report back if any ever died from mites. None have ever reported to me that they died from mites.

Wayne passed away Dec. 26th, 2008. Since that time, I have promoted these bees as "Wayne's bees". In 2010, Larry Tate, of Tate's Apiaries accepted a colony of Wayne's bees and began to graft from them. He is also going treatment free with them. So far, he is happy with their production, temperament, and longevity. He has not had any die from mites.

Larry Tate is now selling Wayne's bees queens.

UPDATE:

One hive has now been reported as dieing from mites. Of many hundreds started from Wayne's one hive, I think that is a very good record.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Scott Derrick

• Swarm Commander Premium Swarm Lure
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 05:34:13 pm »
Iddee,

Is Larry on the forum? If not can you PM me his info. I'd like to get a couple from him this year. Thanks!
Scott Derrick
Creator: Honey-B-Gone, Swarm Commander

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 06:25:41 pm »
Larry is Larry on this forum. You can PM him here. If you don't get a response in 48 hours, tell me.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 06:50:24 am »
I am GUESSING that some of Wayne's Bees have died from the MANY maladies associated with varroa mites but that is not really what is important here.  1) given resistant stock and the program of open mating you may or may not have a product that is bullet proof against varroa and 2) the age a hive survives beyond the two year time line when a hive can be expected to die from a varroa collapse is really a much important road mark.

resistance is gained in small steps one after the other so do not think that all your problems in beekeeping will be resolved when you obtain resistant stock.