Beekeeping > Swarms, Cut Outs, Trap Outs and Bee Trees

Swarm

(1/3) > >>

RAST:
 Too much watching YouTube and doing something different/fun had me build a swarm trap box out of my neighbors scrap plywood. It's hung on a tree about a mile or so from here. Thursday I took a used deep 8 frame hive body, a solid bottom board, put about a 2-3 in shim in between, one black comb and some starter strip frames. I put some lemongrass oil on some cotton balls in a baggy with slits in it on top the frames.  1 in entrance. Bees were checking it out the next day, LG oil I figured. A lot of bees in and out this morning. About 4 this afternoon I heard it, called my wife and went out looking up, I told her to watch that green hive and sure enough they went in. She was in awe of how many bees were in the air and I was in awe of they were coming into one of my boxes instead of going out. Hopefully they didn't come from one of my hives. Might go take a look at the one in the tree tomorrow. I sure didn't expect anything this fast.
 I videoed it and my computer won't see my phone, I will post if I get it figured out.

Jen:
Hi Rast  ;D Swarms are my most favorite bee event! I love to stand right in the middle of them... Magical!

iddee:
My apple computer won't see my android phone, so I just email pics and videos to myself. Works great.

RAST:
Tried that, said file over the 25mb maximum.

Bakersdozen:

--- Quote from: RAST on March 08, 2021, 08:22:59 pm ---  Thursday I took a used deep 8 frame hive body, a solid bottom board, put about a 2-3 in shim in between, one black comb and some starter strip frames. 

--- End quote ---
I have been hearing about setting up swarm traps using starter strips on the brood frames along with some old comb. Glad it worked for you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version