Author Topic: Foundation question  (Read 3567 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Foundation question
« on: June 23, 2019, 04:35:21 pm »
I've been assembling some deep frames I got from dadant, grooved top and bottom with plasti-cell foundation.  Two corners of each sheet of foundation has a diagonal perforation.  My guess has always been that you could break those corners off and the bees could use the opening as a "pass through" to get to the other side.  Looking at it today, that thought seems silly as they could just walk around to the other side just as easily.  The question is, what are the perforations for?  Do they serve a purpose? Do they occur during the manufacturing process, the waxing process?  Inquisitive minds want to know!
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Foundation question
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 06:44:24 pm »
When Dadant made Dura-cell, they left a small hole perforated in the corners so the bees would have passage. It's like other beeks and ventilation, Dadant thinks they need it, the bees don't think so.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 07:40:06 pm »
I was right!  I broke the corners off of about 50 sheets and popped them in the frames, I'll keep an eye on them and try to see what the bees think.  It still seems silly to me.  Thanks iddee!
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 07:09:42 am »
these are called 'communication holes'  they allow bees to pass from one side of the frame to the other without going over the wood frame.  Likely more important in very cold areas than in Texas. Jim Taber mentioned them in one of his articles (decades ago) in the ABJ and their importance in hive survival in extremely cold locations.  The question for northern beekeeper might well be... should the communication hole be at the bottom or the top of the frame?

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 07:18:11 am »
Food for thought.  Thanks.  Ive got thirty or forty frames left to assemble, I'll put the opening at the top and see which, if any, they prefer.  Not very scientific but the best I can do on the run.  Thanks again, Ted

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 09:58:43 am »
I would think they aid in ventilation as well.  Anyone use foundationless frames?  Do the bees draw the comb out from corner to corner?

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 03:02:33 pm »
With my foundationless brood frames they rarely fill the entire frame. In honey frames they will fill it completely out.
 :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 07:06:27 pm »
As Neil said, when I tried starter strips , if in brood box or boxes . bee's never completely draw comb to bottom bar , just in a few places.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 07:11:20 pm »
But if that hive becomes a dead out and you reuse those frames in spring nucs. Bee's seem to use that open space for drone comb.

Offline MudSongs

• Backyard beekeeper in Newfoundland since 2010.
    • Beekeeping in Newfoundland
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 09:21:08 am »
I drill a 3/4 hole in the centre of all my foundation.  The bees will fill it in to the proper bee space but will keep it open.  I do it so it's easier for the bees to move from frame to frame in the winter.  I've had bees starve to death next frames of honey because they couldn't break cluster well enough get over to the next frame of honey.  They have no problem going through that little hole.
- Phillip Cairns
Isle of Newfoundland
47°42'34.2"N 52°42'49.9"W