Author Topic: Questions on what you would do?  (Read 5980 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Questions on what you would do?
« on: February 08, 2014, 11:27:57 am »
I bought 10 sheets of 3/4 in. thick 4 ft. by 4 ft. plywood, that is laminated on one side ($5.00 ec.). I'm wanting to make migratory lids, bottom boards,nucs and maybe some top feeders out of them. Question: i'm thinking for lids the laminated part up and covered with alum. flashing (rough side down)? bottom boards?slick side up would be easy to clean, but might make entrance slick for landing, slick side down would reflect moisture and make the bottom board last longer? Nucs, make them with the laminated exposed to outside, and just paint the edges? top feeders, the laminated to the inside and put together with silicon and screws to hold the syrup in and paint the rough outsides and edges. What's your take on this? and how you would do it?I'm totally confused? Jack

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Questions on what you would do?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 11:37:32 am »
Hey Jack. Good deal on the wood first off.  :yes:
I have had terrible luck using plywood for bottom boards. No matter how much I prep the edges the darn things de-laminate, curl up, and actually direct water into the hives. I am phasing those BB out.
Outer covers I would be inclined to have the finish side up.
Nucs, hard to say, I don't know how much luck you'll have getting paint to stick to the laminated side.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 11:55:37 am »
When you go to seal your feeders, use silicone for windows and flashing.  Silicone that is for bathrooms and kitchens has toxic fungicides in it.  Anything that says mildew resistant on the tube is no good.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 12:11:53 pm »
I think your plan is pretty good Jack..  As far as the laminated side being SLICK..  I would wonder if it would matter to a bee who can walk easily on a pane of glass?   Not to mention your going to paint part of it, and the bees can run about on even glossy smooth paint thats been waxed (my truck) without falling off..   so any worries about smoothness I think are moot.
   When I build hives I usually put the rough side (If there is a rough side) toward the bees. If they can seal up the inside of a tree trunk the rough side of a board should be easy for them. Yhe smooth side is easier to paint and seal, and keep sealed.

My Bottom boards are plywood, and as already stated they can be a bit of a pain to keep the end grain sealed. I sandwich the plywood between the 3/4 boards the hive body sits on, gluing and nailing, and that helps keep the edges from delaminating. 
   Primer and two coats of paint, and often just three GOOD coats of paint (when I dont have primer) does a fair job.  If I have gaps where a bit of the ply is missing or pealed I fill the gap with exterior caulk then paint, that way the water doesnt get into the gap. "most" of the bottom boards I build like this are in their third year and still look just like when I put them there. Two or three apparently didnt get painted well and will need replaced this year.
   When I dont have flashing I do the same with the top covers. So the TOP of the tele cover is just painted ply, and just like the bottom boards..  MOST seem to be holding up better than I had hoped, with the odd few that will need to be fussed with this year.
   I think that you will have some pretty spiffy looking woodenware with the smooth exterior painted up..

(Note)
  Often the EDGES of boards, and plywood will soak in a LOT more paint than the sides. I keep painting the edges until they stop soaking the paint in. When the final coat goes on it is difficult to tell it was open grain.
   Put some pics up Jack!   Nice snag on the wood!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 03:49:52 pm »
A club member came over this morning to visit, and i showed him the plywood. Well he was looking them over and found a shipping sticker on one sheet, it came from Japan and apple juice had been shipped to the USA in it? How you figure?? Where i bought the plywood he also sells the shipping boxes where the plywood comes from 4 ft. square with a lid for $30.00, says his dad put a ton of shelled corn in one. Thinking about getting 3 or 4 of them for bulk calve feed in side the barn. :-\ Jack

Offline Zulu

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 06:02:02 pm »
@Perry , When using plywood you need to cover the edges, I rabbit / mortise the sides and encase the plywood inside the wood, so works just fine for bottoms or tops.

What kind of laminate are we talking about on the ply, Formica or plastic ?

If Formica , that is totally weatherproof and if you could seal the edges would not even have to put the alu flashing over it.

I have kept my tops unpainted inside which will help soak up some humidity in the natural wood
Zulu's Bees

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 06:40:33 pm »
Hadnt thought o fthat Zulu.. I was thinking WOOD laminate.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 06:57:45 pm »
I have seen a lot of ply with that smooth face on one side used for concrete forming. No woodgrain pattern and not so absorbing of the oil they put on to break the concrete adhesion. I dont think it would be the best for paint adhesion.
Frank

Offline Edward

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 07:02:21 pm »
I dont think it would be the best for paint adhesion

Give it a Quick brush over with some fine sandpaper and the paint will stick.

mvh Edward  :P
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 05:34:33 am »
I have seen a lot of ply with that smooth face on one side used for concrete forming. No woodgrain pattern and not so absorbing of the oil they put on to break the concrete adhesion. I dont think it would be the best for paint adhesion.
Crezon Plywood.   If you use an enamel paint they stand up well to the elements.
Crezon is an exterior grade plywood, specially treated and prepared for the sign industry. Crezon is ideal for large exterior signs and is the best substrate for signs, The board is usually painted with white enamel paint.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline crazy8days

• https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crees-Bees/264227527049555?ref=hl
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 12:41:06 pm »
If your plywood came from shipping crates you might want to do some research to see if they have been sprayed with pesticides.  Pretty sure it's required for oversea shipping.

“It's wonderful to me that bees have this simple, age-old thing going on.” -Peter Fonda

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 05:01:25 pm »
I don't think so, the sticker on some of them said apple juice, but coming from over seas who knows ??? Jack