Author Topic: Want to make seed balls  (Read 8016 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Want to make seed balls
« on: January 20, 2016, 08:27:55 am »
Does anyone know where I can get free or discounted pollinator seeds?  I would like to do a seed ball project with my bee club.  I have found small packets of seeds available with a purchase from Burpee.  I think I am going to need several pounds of seed.  I realize the best results would come from a local seed source, but I am open to any available source. 

Also, does anyone have any experience making seed balls aka bombs?  I would enjoy hearing about your experience.

Gypsi

Re: Want to make seed balls
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:13:15 am »
check prices at Stock Seed Farms in Nebraska

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 03:38:26 pm »
Ohhhh, Cool Idea Baker... I don't have much to add, but very intrigued with this idea. I'll stay tuned
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:57:54 pm »
Ohhhh, Cool Idea Baker... I don't have much to add, but very intrigued with this idea. I'll stay tuned

Jen, you are interested in everything! and want to learn.    :D   I really like that.  ;D

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 07:47:15 pm »
i don't have any experience with seed bombs/grenades but sure have considered it bakers!  i just googled it, lots of info on these and pretty much the same instructions/'ingredients', one factor though is using seed that will grow in your area.

we have done some planting, just by throwing seed down in the ditches and in the gas pipeline on our property......buckwheat, a variety of leftover wildflower pollinator seeds, and sunflowers.  for the most part it has worked.  the bombs would probably work much better!

good luck!!!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 03:09:36 am »
I too have done a lot of reading recently.  Yes, you want to use seeds that are native to your area for best results.  One could also use annuals.  That would be good for doing this with children because of quicker results.  These could be  made in the spring, where as natives and perennials made and distributed in the fall. 
This is one to experiment with before doing a project on the club level.   ;D  It would be really embarrassing to be surprised if something didn't work right.
I hope to contact a local seed saver group to see if they have any advice or seeds available. 
I just remembered this...the local food coop has seed balls for sale.  They are in a working gum ball machine. 

Gypsi

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 05:31:15 pm »
I need to get my seed bombs made, now is the time and I am surrounded by vacant grassland and the lots east of me flood in spring so plenty of water for germination.  Brought home a couple of gallons of ball clay off a jobsite for the outer casings, have about a yard of garden soil mixed with mushroom compost, going to see what the feed store has cheap tomorrow, but I also collect seed from my galliardias, bachelor buttons, usually my larkspur and my echinachea too. the 20th tax filing is over and I am about halfway through the tedium of getting 2 years accounting into a new company file minus the quickbooks scramble the upgrade did. I am due some gardening

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 08:34:31 am »
You might try emailing some seed companies and see if they have some older seed they could donate to you letting them know it's for a bee club project. They can only sell seeds for so long due to dwindling germination so I don't think would hurt to ask.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Gypsi

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 02:49:11 pm »
Not going to bother. Less than half an inch of rain since January 1st here. If I can't irrigate it, any seed is a waste of seed, I think our old friend the drought is coming back.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 06:28:12 pm »
Not going to bother. Less than half an inch of rain since January 1st here. If I can't irrigate it, any seed is a waste of seed, I think our old friend the drought is coming back.

Sorry to hear that, Gypsi.
mamapoppy, that's a good idea. 

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 12:25:43 pm »
Follow up:
I attended a seed fair this weekend.  There I met a representative from a local non-profit that was promoting collecting, saving and sharing native seeds.  I contacted her with my questions regarding seed bombs and her program in general.  I think she will become a great asset on my list of contacts.  She has volunteered to do a presentation for my local bee club!
My contact suggested making seed bombs in the winter and distributing them now until mid April.  Her recommendations for seed included milkweeds, aster, goldenrod, joe pye weed and coneflowers.  Instructions for making the soil mix can be obtained from The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. www.wildflower.org
I think I am ready to get my hands dirty!  Love doing that!

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 08:21:26 pm »
Here's a follow up on my progress with seed ball.  With some luck, persistence and the help of some nice people, I have gotten this far.

Seeds used were a mixture of butterfly milkweed, purple prairie clover and a butterfly mix seed packet I received as a gift.  I made this yesterday and I have them in the house.  They are still drying.

Gypsi

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 01:34:46 pm »
Now I have an inch of rain and no seed balls out, may make some tomorrow and just toss them onto the wet ground. Worst case scenario it is a waste.  Half a pound of crimson clover seed, some red clover seed, (for bumbles) and misc gathered wildflower seed including old fashioned swamp milkweed. Will just toss them in the areas I know get flooded and not mowed, so water stands longer and the flowers can grow undisturbed

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 04:31:37 pm »
In NYS we have the Soil & Water Conservation Agency.  I am quite sure every state has this type of program in some format.  Every Spring this agency sells trees, plants and seeds (wildflower by the pound) at a pretty decent price.  Perhaps you can do some checking around in your county and see if there something like this agency available.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 08:19:22 am »
I discovered this web site on a package of Granola bars.  I checked it out and the site hosts a video about seed bombs and planting flowers for bees.  The photography is stunning.  I think it's timely.  Enjoy! https://www.bee-friendlier.com/

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 08:52:34 am »
Great video.

Wife and I have been looking into seed bombs.

She's planted some seed packets yesterday. We're always looking for ways to get more flowers in our yard.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people