Author Topic: True or false?  (Read 703 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
True or false?
« on: February 13, 2024, 11:28:57 am »
Let me see what everyone thinks about this.
I just read, on social media that honey is a natural root stimulator and fertilizer. Never heard that before! The person posting said to 1. Dip the cut end in honey. 2. Then dip in rooting hormone. 3. Then you can water with honey water.  Hmmmmm
Have you ever heard this before?
Why do you need to follow up with rooting hormone if honey is a rooting hormone?

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: True or false?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 12:42:31 pm »
Why do you need to follow up with rooting hormone if honey is a rooting hormone?
Yeah, that's kind of telling to me.  ;)  Honey would probably be good as an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, and the sugars could help give the plant a little boost, but I doubt there is a significant amount of actual plant rooting hormone in honey. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 04:32:31 pm »
I would say with the honey, you get twice as much root hormone to stick to the stem, therefore twice the rooting help.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 11:38:23 am »
15th and iddee, those are two interesting thoughts. 
I asked a fellow gardening beekeeper if she had ever heard of this and she sent me two links to read.  In short, it sounds like it works for some species of plants but not others.  Hibiscus was used in one study and it had a positive effect. www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/uhmg/news/V21-honey-rooting-Firth.pdf
https://ajabtr.smartsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/The-Effects-of-Honey-on-Root-Generation-in-Plant-Cuttings.pdf
The following users thanked this post: neillsayers, The15thMember