Author Topic: Alaska Bee Keeping  (Read 80346 times)

Offline yukonjeff

Re: Alaska Bee Keeping
« Reply #340 on: November 02, 2020, 01:09:05 pm »

Thanks but this whole area is so windy you cant have a tarp outside stretched over anything, the winds will shred it.  We dont even have trees on this side of the river here the winds are too strong. All we have is alder and willow bushes, and yes the bees are in heaven in the spring here.

We have no agriculture here as well, so no hay bales. I was considering a pile of grass on them tied down but I think I will just wait for the snow to burry them.

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #341 on: November 02, 2020, 01:14:22 pm »
Along with the feed jars, you might want to consider sugar blocks for spring emergencies.

Yes, but if it was like last year my boxes were frozen shut could not open them. Could not get in to add anymore.

I think a jar feeder slowly dripping on them might keep them alive, they jar will be mostly frozen though so not sure how much would even drip. But by late February it should be getting a little solar gain. so they can warm it a bit. That's my thought anyway. I have a king size brick on it now.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #342 on: November 02, 2020, 02:39:59 pm »
You don't want dripping from your feeder.  That will chill the bees and mean death.  The jar feeder isn't going to do any good when they are clustered.  I would put candy boards on there.  They will absorb excess condensation and hold a lot of feed. 
This video shows how to make a candy board.  A lot of beekeepers in this area use solid bottoms for the candy.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_WLCc21-Hk
I am not sure about his method of making the actual candy, but the screened bottom could work.  But I like his thoughts on a hole in the side for condensation to escape.  You might have limited resources.  He's using parchment paper and I am guessing that you don't have any parchment paper.
Here is a better recipe for the actual candy. https://www.honeybeesuite.com/candy-board-feeders-for-honey-bees/

BTW, I saw a presentation by a queen breeder in Iowa.  She strapped all kinds of crazy stuff onto her nucs for protection.  She had lawn cushions, styrofoam, and cardboard boxes slipped over the hive bodies.   I know a local lady that uses wooden pallets for windbreaks.
The following users thanked this post: yukonjeff

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #343 on: November 02, 2020, 02:44:21 pm »
Sugar water has to be 55F. before they can use it. Maybe two sugar cakes made in this pan per hive would last them from now until May.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bakers-mark-18-x-13-half-size-19-gauge-wire-in-rim-aluminum-bun-sheet-pan/407BUNHALF.html
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #344 on: November 03, 2020, 02:54:32 am »
You don't want dripping from your feeder.  That will chill the bees and mean death.

I hear that alot but no ones I ask has ever tried it. I think It will work somewhat in late winter, better than starving I am hoping.

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #345 on: November 03, 2020, 03:00:13 am »
Sugar water has to be 55F. before they can use it. Maybe two sugar cakes made in this pan per hive would last them from now until May.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bakers-mark-18-x-13-half-size-19-gauge-wire-in-rim-aluminum-bun-sheet-pan/407BUNHALF.html
I think they will warm it as it drips and be able to take some.

The thing about sugar bricks in cold weather is they cant move sideways to to get it, and you cant just add a block of sugar on top of a clump of bees.
This was one that starved with alot of sugar still on.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #346 on: November 03, 2020, 09:55:06 am »

I think they will warm it as it drips and be able to take some.

The thing about sugar bricks in cold weather is they cant move sideways to to get it, and you cant just add a block of sugar on top of a clump of bees.
This was one that starved with alot of sugar still on.

[/quote]

Your liquid feeder on top shouldn't actually drip.  The laws of science says that the vacuum that is created above the liquid will stop the liquid from dripping out.  The air pressure outside the feeder will be greater than the inside of the feeder, so the liquid will stop dripping.  I think that is the explanation.  You also run the risk of the liquid freezing and breaking the container.  When that thaws it could kill your bees.
A Candy Board will cover the entire area of the colony and will increase the chances of survival no matter where the colony clusters. Another trick is to add the sugar brick early in the winter season, before the bees have worked their way up to the top bars.
When honey bees starve in winter, you typically find a lot of bees with their heads stuck in cells.  You would probably find the bees in a cluster formation.  I had one that had worked their way into a corner and starved.  It's heartbreaking.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #347 on: November 03, 2020, 11:36:46 am »
Welcome back!  I don’t really have anything g else to say that hasn’t already been added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #348 on: November 04, 2020, 01:42:54 am »
Thanks,
and thanks again for all the suggestions. I had pretty much ten frames of capped sugar syrup on each hive plus the 7 lb sugar brick.
I think that will hold them until late February at least.

When I look through the screened hole and down see bees instead of a white sugar brick. I will put a warmed feed jar on. I have done it before in early spring, should be no difference.

There is no rethinking it at this point. Its winter here now.

Offline MudSongs

• Backyard beekeeper in Newfoundland since 2010.
    • Beekeeping in Newfoundland
« Reply #349 on: November 09, 2020, 08:21:49 pm »
I've used sugar bricks like this, probably what you're using, and if the bees cluster upwards, they'll find the sugar, especially if you spike it with an essential oil like anise or lemon grass or, big surprise, mix in some honey with the sugar bricks.  This is still a theory I'm trying to prove, but if you make it SMELL like food (sugar doesn't smell like anything), they're more likely to recognize it as a source of food.

https://mudsongs.org/feeding-my-bees-in-the-wintertime-with-sugar-bricks/
- Phillip Cairns
Isle of Newfoundland
47°42'34.2"N 52°42'49.9"W

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #350 on: November 10, 2020, 12:52:07 am »
So far I have stayed away from the essential oils. They can induce robbing in the summer (I hear) I do have a bottle of lemongrass oil but never used any.

Bees don't have any trouble finding and consuming sugar bricks. Mine often eat the sugar before the honey. They tend to eat their way straight up.

One thing about the bricks is you cant just add a brick on top of a cluster of bees. You have to add them to the sides and hope they can move over to get them and often times in our cold weather they cant. (note Picture above) 

Offline MudSongs

• Backyard beekeeper in Newfoundland since 2010.
    • Beekeeping in Newfoundland
« Reply #351 on: November 10, 2020, 07:40:48 am »
True.  Syrup spiked with essentials oils, if you spill it on the ground near the hives, the bees will go nuts.  Though it's never been an issue for me having it in the sugar bricks.  Not yet anyway.

While I don't really have problems with placing sugar bricks on top of the bees (very gently), I think everyone in cold climates knows what it's like when the bees can't move between frames to get at their honey.  I got sick of seeing that happen, so I started drilling holes in the foundation of all my deep frames to create a corridor the bees can use to move between honey frames in the winter.  It's worked out well for me so far.  Here's what I'm talking about:

https://mudsongs.org/comb-corridors-for-wintering-bees/

- Phillip Cairns
Isle of Newfoundland
47°42'34.2"N 52°42'49.9"W

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #352 on: November 10, 2020, 08:15:31 am »
Well, one more thing for you to research: Layens hives. I don’t know if a horizontal hive would be any better, but the larger frames might give the bees a bit more time before they have to move to a different frame.:  https://horizontalhive.com/index.shtml

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #353 on: November 11, 2020, 01:46:56 am »
True.  Syrup spiked with essentials oils, if you spill it on the ground near the hives, the bees will go nuts.  Though it's never been an issue for me having it in the sugar bricks.  Not yet anyway.

While I don't really have problems with placing sugar bricks on top of the bees (very gently), I think everyone in cold climates knows what it's like when the bees can't move between frames to get at their honey.  I got sick of seeing that happen, so I started drilling holes in the foundation of all my deep frames to create a corridor the bees can use to move between honey frames in the winter.  It's worked out well for me so far.  Here's what I'm talking about:

https://mudsongs.org/comb-corridors-for-wintering-bees/
That might be a good idea with the holes. It still would have to be a warm spell to move. Some of my foundation has notched corners that can be broke off. I will try that when I add foundation now. Thanks.

And Wanderingman. I am convinced these lang hives are inadequate for northern beekeepers to winter in. That might be a better set up 

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #354 on: November 11, 2020, 09:07:31 am »

And Wanderingman. I am convinced these lang hives are inadequate for northern beekeepers to winter in. That might be a better set up
Agree.  In winter climates, the bees need adequate food stores above them.  As winter progresses the bees will work their way up, not out.

Online G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #355 on: November 12, 2020, 08:09:09 pm »
I have not read this from the beginning so excuse me if any of this has been mentioned.

Do you keep your bees in styrofoam boxes?

Can you keep your hives in an out building, crawl space, garage? No need to heat the space just get them out of the outside temps and wind. Even freezing temps would be warmer than negative temps. You can always give then an entrance/exit with a small diameter tube.

I have heard of keeps putting a couple of the small Christmas lights inside of a hive for "some" warmth.

Just some thoughts.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #356 on: November 13, 2020, 01:02:27 am »
No Styrofoam boxes although I heard good things about them. Not cost effective for me to get here. I think lining the outside with foam board would be pretty close. I don't have foam board either and pondered getting some shipped in but again not very cost effective to fly it in.

No extra indoor space for them but thought of building a small winter shed someday, and no power in my bee yard for heat.

I have had success wintering, if you look back a couple years in this thread you will see where both my nuc and hive survived in pretty much this set up except as doubles and with a upper entrance.

Hopefully I fed enough.(all frames were full on the singles) and hoping they get buried under the snow before it gets real cold.

If these hives fail this winter, I will have to try winter indoors next year.
Thanks for the sugestions. 

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #357 on: November 18, 2020, 12:01:52 am »
Yukon Jeff!
Do you know this person?  Etienne Tardif yukonhoneybees@gmail.com

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jCQh3VIcB8OFhL3Q_fzUnkOOtDr8zb39/view?usp=sharing

Maybe a resource for you?

Etienne is posting in Scientific Beekeepings listserve. 

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #358 on: November 18, 2020, 12:04:37 am »

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #359 on: November 19, 2020, 02:51:38 am »
Thanks Wandering man. Some cool observations and graphs there. I don't know who that is, and wonder where they are located. I see the preface "Yukon" I am guessing Yukon Canada, I am in Alaska on the Yukon river.