Author Topic: queen cell dilemma  (Read 2172 times)

Offline pistolpete

queen cell dilemma
« on: April 25, 2015, 01:15:25 pm »
I have about 20 queen cells that are due to emerge next Thursday.  I have to go out of town until Wednesday night.  My worry is that if one of those suckers emerges a day early, she will do in all the others.  So my dilemma is: do I risk putting wire cages on the cells while they are in the sensitive development phase, or do I risk losing a bunch of queens.   The cells are on two frames.  Should I very gently move one of the frames into a Nuc and at least double my chances?
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: queen cell dilemma
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 02:24:24 pm »
Moving one frame increases your odds, and I would still be tempted to make up the little screened cages to keep them from doing each other in. They are simple to make if you have some #8 hardware cloth kicking around.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline pistolpete

Re: queen cell dilemma
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 07:42:12 pm »
looks like my dilemma resolved itself: my out of town job got postponed till Wednesday, so I can move the queen cells into Nucs on Tuesday.  That's earlier than optimal, but still out of the danger zone.
Still, it would be nice to know just how strict that no moving the cell on days 11 to 13 rule is.
My advice: worth price charged :)