Author Topic: Home Depot Credit Card Hack  (Read 3893 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Home Depot Credit Card Hack
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:50:33 pm »
anyone else get doinked by these hackers? 

i did, in july, about 2 weeks before vacation. go figure, hadn't been to home depot for months, but used a visa card to buy a new fangled small drill to assemble and screw together hive and super equipment, and a debit card for several other purchases; glue, screws i forgot, etc....  it didn't take long and one week later, someone was using my name, my address and my account on amazon.  at the time, i was getting a little run around from home depot. "we are investigating and looking into it" sort of a we'll get back to ya.  yaddy ya da.....anyway, my bank was quick, closed the account, sign  an affidavit and some other papers, and issued me a new card, but the hastle is a PITA to get it straightened out.  just recently talked with an old friend of mine from my 'investigatin' days; an exec in my bank's fraud department, said they were seeing many compromised accounts/cards being reissued stemming from home depot use and the bank was working with HD......

many of us shop HD......was just wondering if anyone else had their info stolen?  btw this is not just HD credit cards, it's all credit and debit cards...
some articles:

Home Depot's credit cards may have been hacked

may have been? okay, whatever........... :D

some good info, protect yourself:

Here we go again: Home Depot security breach means it's time to take steps to protect yourself now

Home Depot fallout: Hackers like debit cards better than credit cards for 3 big reasons

i know a few things about credit card fraud/debit card fraud..........in short.....with credit card fraud, typically the user will test the account out with a small purchase, and send it to yourself or your next door neighbor's address. (waiting for approval) once approved, then a major purchase or major purchases, unless they are a really dumb criminal; or depending on how much info is gathered the user makes your life miserable with stealing your identity.....open accounts/charges everywhere.  debit card fraud, they empty your bank account the first go round.....and then may use your info to make you even more miserable with credit card accounts.....

it's complicated but in general hackers and thieves sell this information, even employees of a company, it's more profitable than using your information themselves sometimes.....and the best scenario is to sell it to someone who might live in your state or area.

well anyway, just wondering if anyone else had an HD problem with a card.........i am waiting for HD to admit the breach.
all i wanted to do was put together deep and supers and wound up with a major headache 1 week before vacation!....... :D

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
Re: Home Depot Credit Card Hack
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 10:12:57 pm »
I carry a debit card and only use in emergency when I need cash I go to a bank ATM.  I pay cash for about everything or a company check if its for the business. But as broke as I am the hacker would have to hire another hacker to hack someone else and put the money in my account so they could hack it. ;D
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 11:30:59 pm »
............ :D :laugh:
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 11:40:17 pm »
we ditched all credit cards many years ago, and our debit cards have a default cap of 200 dollars..  When I need to make a purchase more than that I call them, they raise it, I make purchase, poof back to 200 dollar cap again, and they call me anytime they see something wierd..   Wife was in Maryland last week.. that got a quick phone call... got to love small towns.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 12:49:18 am »
Riverrat- "I carry a debit card and only use in emergency when I need cash I go to a bank ATM.  I pay cash for about everything or a company check if its for the business. But as broke as I am the hacker would have to hire another hacker to hack someone else and put the money in my account so they could hack it

B E E N THERE!! and understand  ;)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:55:09 am »
we have one credit card and it's paid off monthly, and also use it for business and travel.  i think the debit card also has a 200 or 300 cap for withdrawals in one day.  i don't carry a checkbook, and i don't like to carry much cash. we don't pay any bills online, just the old fashioned way, write a check, although some companies are charging a paper fee.  i just tell them i'd rather use their printer ink than mine. :D

the banks are getting to the point like scott said, a phone call, or the card is shut off when it's used some where else.  last year when we traveled to captiva island, forgot to call the bank......oops, but a quick phone call to tell them it was us, and how many days we would be there.  this yrs travel to montana, called in advance with dates, so we weren't stuck at some gas pump in timbuktu, north dakota calling the bank from inside the store cuz there was no cell service........ aw yep! :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 01:20:47 pm »
But as broke as I am the hacker would have to hire another hacker to hack someone else and put the money in my account so they could hack it. ;D
here, here.

But, fooey!  Now I have to check my cards... I don't use cash... so EVERYTHING I do is electronic.  UGH!  One more thing to add to my list.

Thank you for the info!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 09:49:58 pm »
right on capn, fooey! is right!.....

personally if it were me....and you shopped at HD, and know what card you used, i would just shut that card down and get a new account number. i wouldn't wait for a train wreck.  it might not happen right away, use of your account or info, might happen later down the road.  but that's just me.
and at some point when HD admits the breach, they will offer free credit monitoring, etc, and sign up for that or whatever they offer.  best we can do. 
Forum Sponsor

Gypsi

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 09:17:11 am »
I haven't been at Home Depot as much this year and I have been using credit cards with low credit limits rather than my debit card, something I will continue with I think. But no one bothered to hack mine.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 10:30:12 am »
home depot admitted the breach and is offering free identity protection and free credit card monitoring to anyone in the USA and Canada.  so if you shopped there since april and used a credit card, it's worth signing up for it.  i did, my card had already been used.  info here:

Home Depot Statement 1

"Customer update on payment breach
On September 2 we disclosed that we were investigating a possible breach of our payment data systems. We want you to know that we have now confirmed that those systems have in fact been breached, which could potentially impact any customer that has used their payment card at our U.S. and Canadian stores, from April forward. We do not have any evidence that the breach has impacted stores in Mexico or customers who shopped online at HomeDepot.com.

We apologize for the frustration and anxiety this causes our customers.

We also want to emphasize that you will not be responsible for any fraudulent charges to your accounts, and we’re offering free identity protection services, including credit monitoring, to any customer who has shopped at a Home Depot store in 2014, from April on.   

You can learn more about the identity protection services and how to sign up for them https://homedepot.allclearid.com/.

It is important to closely monitor your payment card accounts and report unusual activity to your issuing bank."

Home Depot REQUEST YOUR FREE IDENTITY PROTECTION
Forum Sponsor

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 07:17:27 am »
FYI:  My bank sent everyone new debit cards if they had been used at HD.  Now I need to memorize new credit card's numbers/expiration/CCV.  What joy!