Author Topic: Extractor decisions  (Read 7630 times)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Extractor decisions
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 03:10:12 pm »
It looks that it was an old galvanized extractor from 1950 or 60's that has had the tub remade with stainless steel. The real frame and is still original so either painted steel and the frame baskets may be galvanized or plated They could be stainless but hard to tell from the photos, the lid looks that they may still be the original galvanized ones, but they do not come in contact with the honey so would not be a problem. I would not use the brake as the breaking pad would contain asbestos. It would require a good cleaning and some paint on the rusty bare metal and paint chipped areas but it would clean up nicely. The galvanized shields in between the frame baskets I think where put in to help lessen wind drag when starting. The old motors like the one on the extractor where not as fast at starting so if they are removed you may need to install a newer motor with a built in start circuit. With the way honey flows out of the frames I doubt any honey will come in contact with them. It's drive is a slip disk system with the more tension applied to the spring increasing the friction between the 2 drive surfaces causing the real to speed up. Although it can be reversed I do not think that there is any need to as the honey flows out of both sides of frames placed radial in the extractor.
Now just sit back and see what the interest is and where the price goes. You could send the seller an message and see if you can buy it now and see what he is hoping to get out of it. even at $500.00 it would still be a great deal.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 05:14:32 am »
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-frame-electric-honey-extractor-Vintage/222730128203?hash=item33dbc00b4b:g:JmcAAOSwglVaExqi
here is a used one. old fashion but easy to keep running. I don't know why they put the galvanized Shields around the frame baskets I would pull them out. good starting price but have to wait 9 days to see where it ends
Its final selling price was AU $766.00 I do not know if Omni was bidding on it as I have not seen him logged in since I posted it. But for the price it went for in the end , For a couple hundred more he could have new, not something that has been reworked but still has plain steel and galvanized in it.

Offline Green bee

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 08:31:22 am »
Omni, with that many hives , I would think you could sell some splits this spring and let the bees buy you an extractor. Wouldn’t take long to get enough money to buy a really nice one...just my thoughts.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 12:03:43 pm »
Because he is down under he needs it now so he is not crushing all his comb again.

omnimirage

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 04:44:00 pm »
For some reason I never received a notifaction and missed all this, ugh, looks like a great opportunity has past by me kicking myself for it. Yes, an extractor sooner rather than later would be good, I went and did beeekeeping and came back with 50 kilos, more to crush and strain.

I'll keep my eye open for more used extractors on ebay may be a good way of finding a cheaper quality one thanks.

omnimirage

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 10:59:53 pm »
I've been thinking more so about the logistics of honeyspinning. If I were to take empty frames up with me, to replace with full honey frames to take home and extract, I wouldn't be able to fit such in my station wagon. Taking back just 10 supers full of honey would be very difficult to manage. My car has been getting very full as is. I could strap my tool box and other tools on roof racks to my car, if I got tarps I could load some honey supers on my passenger seats. but it doesn't seem practical. I'd have to take a trailer with me to load with honey. I don't own a trailer nor do I have experience with driving one, but that can change I suppose. Maybe I'd need to get a more spacious vehicle, my station wagon has a gas tank in the back which restricts how many supers I can load up. Maybe a van or ute would be better for me.

Just really doesn't seem practical either way. How do you guys bring back large hauls of honey? It has me thinking again about doing my honey extraction whilst up there. If I got a van, I could maybe set up a honey processing unit inside the van, or get some sort of portable shelter thing to cover myself so that the bees won't swarm me as I'm working. If I did that though, I guess I'd need to buy a manual extractor, not sure how feasible it'd be to use solar panels or a generator to charge an electric one. Then it seems that, I'd be spending days on end manually extracting frames, I'm not sure if I could physically do it.

Bit lost as to how to proceed. Doesn't seem like I have any practical solution.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 06:11:22 am »
Logistics can be a difficult hurdle.  I feel for you.  Perhaps you could recruit a roommate to be your assistant in this process, then there might be less complaints. You will also appreciate the help when you are actually harvesting.
My initial thoughts are of sanitation.  Remember you are handling and processing a food.  To harvest in a remote location would require, at a minimum, hot water and an air tight, dust free facility to keep the bees out.  The bees will be all over you like white on rice!  Are you willing to have your station wagon covered in sticky honey?(inside and out)  Because honey will be everywhere. 
Any supers transported outside, whether it be a trailer or car top, will need to be tarped to keep dust and debris out.  Until a year ago, I just had a big old Buick.  I hauled a lot of equipment in the trunk of that car.  Sometimes it took several trips.

omnimirage

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 04:08:36 pm »
I didn't even think about the dust. I figure honey would drip from the frames also so I'd have to have some sort of way of capturing it.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 05:48:40 pm »
You can rent or even borrow a trailer to start. remember a spare tire and jack to take along and a few blocks of wood. Prepare for the worst and when pulling a trailer slow down an out of control trailer will drive you off the road.

omnimirage

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 05:05:29 pm »
Looks like a trailer might be the way to go.