Author Topic: What spring.  (Read 3629 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

What spring.
« on: May 09, 2017, 07:18:04 am »
Rain for the month of April is nearly double normal of just over 5 inches. We got a total of 9.48 inches this year. Nothing is drying out just about able to walk with out being in slop and it rains again. Is still raining in May too, plus we are having March temptures 15 to 20F below normal, Just this morning before sun rise it was 29F. To top it off all our fruit trees are in bloom. Figure another year with no apples on the apple trees, plums, or pears.
Am sure glad I didn't get antsy and dig my raised beds and plat any thing. None of the local farmers are working in there fields, at least 19 days behind already.

:D   Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: What spring.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 09:37:59 am »
We had a similar spring two years ago. The bees were confined to their hives by rain and wind for 28 days running.  A time that should have been their spring honey flow.  We know bees can be aggressive during rainy periods.

When, near the end of that 28 days, they did venture out of their hives for short periods and short distances, we were attacked in our yards.  One neighbor had a guest stung while moving between his car and front door.  I geared up and slap-killed over 30 bees hanging around the guests car looking to sting.  That same neighbor was attacked by a cloud of bees, there were a handful of stingers just in her dark hair.  I could go on...I moved those bee hives away and haven't brought them back.  Hope your bees don't get frustrated as mine did Alleyyooper.  :)
Lee_Burough