Author Topic: Hopguard  (Read 2809 times)

Offline badgerbeekernube66

Hopguard
« on: June 15, 2015, 06:22:59 pm »
Hi all, been looking into different treatment options for this fall and was wondering if anyone has used Hopguard at all and if so did it work well? I came across it by accident while looking for beer recipes, my drinking problem may have given me solution.... :laugh: thanks

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Hopguard
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 06:53:49 pm »
I have used Maqs and Hopguard. 
   Hopguard worked, but it took all three yearly recommended treatments to do the job, which would mean treating with something else..   Then I found the Oxalic Acid Vapor and have not looked back.
   I have heard they have a hopguard II out now thgat is more effective, but have not tried it.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline rrog13

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 08:33:47 pm »
It's been a while since I used hopguard.  Like LazyBkpr, it took more than the recommended treatment to be fully effective. In the one hive I used it in, the queen stopped laying and was superseded.  Not to mention, it is a bit messy.  I'm also setup to use Oxalic Acid Vapor.

Offline rcannon

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 08:36:03 pm »
Oxalic acid for me, too. I've never tried Hopguard, but Randy Oliver didn't seem overly impressed with it. I've read about other people having bad luck with it, too.

Offline badgerbeekernube66

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:43:39 pm »
Thanks for the info guys, I had read that a beekeeper beer brewer had started his own hops plants and in their second year the bees were all over them although hops doesn't yield any nectar, also he stated his mite count had dropped significantly since he started cultivating the plants.? Maybe he sells hops wholesale.... ;D