Author Topic: USDA Just Released it's 2015 honey report (March 22)  (Read 8104 times)

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Henry David Thoreau
The following users thanked this post: Lburou

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: USDA Just Released it's 2015 honey report (March 22)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:34:00 am »
Some interesting stats in the opening paragraphs.  Of interest was the data showing honey production per hive for producers with more than 5 hives is almost double that of producers with five hives or less:  Production by owners of Five hives or less averaged 31.3 pounds per hive, while those with more than  five hives averaged 58.9 pounds.   

Three of my hives produced in the 30-40 pound range last year after they had swarmed in the spring...Looks like there is a lot of swarming going on in small apiaries, eh?

:)

Quote from: USDA Ag Statistics Service, 2016
United States Honey Production Down 12 Percent for Operations with Five or More Colonies United States honey production in 2015 from producers with five or more colonies totaled 157 million pounds, down 12 percent from 2014.  There were 2.66 million colonies from which honey was harvested in 2015, down 3 percent from 2014.  Yield of honey harvested per colony averaged 58.9 pounds, down 10 percent from the 65.1 pounds in 2014.   Colonies which produced honey in more than one State were counted in each State where the honey was produced.  Therefore, at the United States level yield per colony may be understated, but total production would not be impacted.
 Colonies were not included if honey was not harvested.  Producer honey stocks were 42.2 million pounds on December 15, 2015, up 2 percent from a year earlier. Stocks held by producers exclude those held under the commodity loan program.

Operations with Less than Five Colonies Produced 720 Thousand Pounds of Honey in 2015 United States honey production in 2015 from producers with less than five colonies totaled 720 thousand pounds. There were 23 thousand colonies from which honey was harvested in 2015, with an average yield of 31.3 pounds harvested per colony.   This yield is 27.6 pounds less than what was pulled per colony on operations with five or more colonies.  Comparisons to 2014 are unavailable because no data prior to 2015 was collected for operations with less than five colonies.
Lee_Burough

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 11:41:03 am »
I took that as the smaller ones of us left more honey for the bees to overwinter... I had assumed the larger ones were taking more honey for sale and then supplementing more...   I could be wrong as it is almost 11 here and I haven't been so yet today :D
Henry David Thoreau

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 01:04:23 pm »
The beekeeper with 5 or less will have the hives in their back yard. whether it is a good bee forage area or not. the 5 and over which includes the beekeepers with up to 75,000 colonies. Most of the commercially ran hives are placed in yards that are proven nectar producers with thousands of acres of irrigated blooming plants. With some hives being moved to take advantage of multiple blooming crops.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 01:33:39 pm »
That makes sense.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 02:20:17 pm »
http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2016/03/25/Honey-bees-use-sophisticated-alarm-system-to-communicate-danger/9481458931640/?spt=sec&or=sn

Sorry to keep flooding the news section, but I thought others may find it interesting as well...
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 02:20:27 pm »
http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2016/03/25/Honey-bees-use-sophisticated-alarm-system-to-communicate-danger/9481458931640/?spt=sec&or=sn

Sorry to keep flooding the news section, but I thought others may find it interesting as well...
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 07:21:37 pm »
The North Dakota production numbers are unbelievable compared to other states.  Do the Canadian prairie Provinces do as well?
Lee_Burough

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 05:24:21 am »
 What I want to know is why the norther bee keeper sold their honey so cheap while we southern got more.

Ken

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 08:49:43 am »
They have a small population of customers so most of their honey is sold wholesale. In the central plains there are very few small beekeepers. A small time beekeeper in that area would be someone with under 500 hives. In the south there is a much higher, denser population thus a lot bigger market for the beekeepers to market and retail their own honey at a higher price..

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 05:14:35 pm »
Canola seed production, Clover and Alfalfa hay, and some clover and Alfalfa seed production. Yes we have some where between 80 and 100 thousand colonies that come in to the lower mainland and Okanagan valley to overwinter and for pollination and get moved the 1500 miles back to the prairies for the honey crop.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 06:29:47 am »
The North Dakota production numbers are unbelievable compared to other states.  Do the Canadian prairie Provinces do as well?

I believe the Peace River region is known for world record honey crops.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 06:57:37 am »

I believe the Peace River region is known for world record honey crops.
It has a lot to do with the length of sunlight during the summer bee season the sun is up from 16 to 20 Hr a day.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 11:38:25 am »
Interesting info about the Peace River Region, thanks, I'll read up on it.  In 82-86, expected big honey crops in Alaska because of the daylight, but it didn't materialize, (at the time, I hadn't learned the benefits of early feeding and brood stimulation that might compensate for the short summer season).  :)

P.S.  We drove the ALCAN Hwy in 1982, it passes through some of the catchment area for the Peace River....A huge, huge area.
Lee_Burough

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 01:49:22 pm »
Here is an article on Alberta honey industry
http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/2015/12/29/alberta-tops-in-honey-production

Here attached as a PDF is a honey report on Canadian honey by province. Covers from 2010 to 2014

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 08:55:45 pm »
Thanks Apis, that is interesting.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 08:00:03 am »
So a middle aged man has had ED issues & has gone thru all treatments & drugs to no avail.  His wife contacts a medicine man on the reservation who has a cure.  Sends her husband to see him. 
The medicine man says "I have cure" & pulls down a bowl full of powder. 
"Powerful medicine" he says & scoops a couple tablespoon's into a bag & hands it to him. "Now...listen carefully to my instructions.  You put 1 teaspoonful into a cup of water-say one, two, three & drink.  You will instantly be ready to perform." 
"Great" says the man & heads for the door-then stops & turns back & asks the medicine man "how do I make it stop?"
"Ahhh yes-good question- say one, two, three, four & you will not be able to use this again until the next full moon."
He returns home & invites his wife into the bedroom-mixes the brew-strips-says one, two, three & drinks.  I works like a charm. "Whooo-hooo!" his wife says excitedly & begins to strip also.  While doing so, she asks him "What was the one, two, three, for?"

And the moral of the story is:  Don't end your questions with a preposition because it will leave a dangling participle...
Henry David Thoreau