Author Topic: Zucchini Bread  (Read 6115 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Zucchini Bread
« on: August 27, 2017, 10:54:55 am »
It's that time of year!  Some are overly blessed with zucchini.  My neighbor gave me 1 zucchini from their garden.  I have made 3 batches of this zucchini bread from the 1 zucchini!  It's really a really good and moist recipe.

Zucchini Bread
3 cups of flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups white sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups zucchini, shredded
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease and flour 2 8x4 inch bread pans.
Beat eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla together in a large bowl.  Add dry ingredients and stir will.  Stir in shredded zucchini and nuts.  Pour into pans. Bake 40-60 minutes until bread tests done with a toothpick.  Cool then remove from pans.

The first time I made this I was short a couple of tablespoons of oil.  I added melted coconut oil to meet the one cup requirement.  I don't know if it made a difference, but I have continued to do the same to the other batches.  Maybe just superstition.   :D
The following users thanked this post: Perry

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Re: Zucchini Bread
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 05:29:04 pm »
Your recipe is similar to mine.  After a marathon baking day of 12 loaves, no one has blessed me with any more zucchini  :\'(
All the donors got a loaf from me, so they can't say I was ungrateful LOL.  Actually, I think most of the zucchini has gone by the by here in NYS.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 11:39:11 pm »
love zucchini bread! we will have plenty to use for bread (love it fresh sliced and grilled). for the bread i use olive oil instead of vegetable oil.........mmmm, the cocunut oil i think would be great!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 11:44:27 pm »
My Sweet Wife is allergic to wheat and she recently made a pizza with zucchini crust. Sounds weird but it was delicious.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 07:58:17 am »
One of the classes at the fair is loaves made with honey and cupcakes or muffins made with honey. We added these classes to promote the use of honey in cooking. The point of this story time is I will be tasting some Zucchini loaves tomorrow. For the cooking with honey classes the prizes is honey 1Kg for first; 500g for 2nd; and 340g for 3rd.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 12:42:25 am »
"made a pizza with zucchini crust. Sounds weird but it was delicious."

neil, very cool!  i don't eat 'junk' food, and trying to watch my girlish figure and all.... but i have had pizza with zucchini crust and it was awesome!

apis, let us know! for the most part, anything baked, grilled or any recipe calling for sugar we do use honey.  i sometimes use raw brown sugar, but will  use honey granules in my own bbq rubs or spice mixes. better than white sugar!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 06:02:19 am »
One of the classes at the fair is loaves made with honey and cupcakes or muffins made with honey. We added these classes to promote the use of honey in cooking. The point of this story time is I will be tasting some Zucchini loaves tomorrow. For the cooking with honey classes the prizes is honey 1Kg for first; 500g for 2nd; and 340g for 3rd.
I would be curious to know which products were worthy of a prize.  I suppose recipes might be guarded secrets, but it would be interesting to hear what someone has done.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 10:06:31 am »
Where have been some truly outstanding delicious entries. From a loaf of white bread that was so fine textured and moist that it didn't need butter on it. A banana cinnamon nut loaf that was melt in your mouth no Butter wanted on it. One of the classes is uniced loaf made with honey, with out icing or butter and jam to hide behind, they need to be moist, a good balance of ingredients, all the ingredients must go well together. Then it need to be cooked to perfection, not cooked enough and it will be doughy in the center. Cooked to much and it can have burnt taste and be black, it can make the crust to thick and the out side if not the whole loaf can be dry.
With preserves made with honey (3 types) the fruit or slices needs to be all the same size. In the case of peaches, pairs, nectarines the fruit need to still be firm to hold their shape and consistency but also soft and tender. The syrup that the fruit is caned in should be the wright balance of sweetness, and be the flavor of the fruit, and the color of the fruit needs to be uniform.
When faced with array of  choices it quickly becomes clear which entries are lacking in presentation, taste, not execute well, or has flavors that do not blend well together. Then there are the ones that are truly amazing melt in your mouth absolutely delicious entries that you can't stop eating and talking about.
Here is all the classes that are in the honey division. https://www.armstrongipe.com/files/5911e07a-4f10-4d7e-922a-2debd8b0b5a8.pdf
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.