Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Any and Every Thing / another stove for Riverrat.
« Last post by apisbees on Today at 06:44:34 pm »
Just was down checking what was in the sale this week and seen this fine looking stove.

delete deviantart account
Beekeeping 101 / Bees fanning
« Last post by Mikey N.C. on Today at 05:50:17 pm »
I seen bearding and fanning,  if it's for moisture reduction if a afternoon thunderstorm comes really quick and bees are bearded heavy. Sometimes bees slowly move into box , not always. My question is.  If these soaking wet bees enter hive don't they put moisture right back in hive. Just a stupid thing I thought about.
General Beekeeping / Maiden Flight?
« Last post by Rugerbob on Today at 05:45:56 pm »
Found a queen with about twenty attendants six feet from the bee hives around 5pm. I'm I correct in assuming she was about to make or returning from her maiden flight?
General Beekeeping / Re: embedding wires when cross wiring frames
« Last post by G3farms on Today at 02:50:41 pm »
I use the old style star wheel for embedding and find it does a very good job for me.

Tried the electric transformer and embedding tool from Kelley's but to me is slow and can sometimes melt the foundation in half if not careful. Does a better job if you use the wire crimper to tighten the wires first. It will not only tighten the wire but also not make the wire a "hot knife" so to speak.

the transformer sold by Kelley's is a Stancor P-8130 style A
The embedding tool can be made if you are handy on the table saw.

As for the wire in the cells, you might find that the queen will not lay eggs in that row of cells until the bottom of them get waxed enough to cover the wire.

might try a door bell transformer.
General Beekeeping / Re: embedding wires when cross wiring frames
« Last post by Riverrat on Today at 02:47:04 pm »
I used a battery charger set at 2 amps
Pests and Diseases / Re: Australian sugar ants
« Last post by Lastfling on Today at 11:51:12 am »
Pricey but if it works ... 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swarms, Cut Outs, Trap Outs and Bee Trees / Re: The Swarm That Left
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Today at 11:16:15 am »
It is a royal jelly stimulant.   I have to say even though the claims may seem far out,  I have been extremely impressed with the stuff.   The guy is legit, in fact Dave Miksa is a believer as well and now sells caspian queens.

http://www.caspianapiaries.com/index.php

Wow! Robo.  They make a lot of claims.  I don't see a price list or how to order.  Do you send them an email for pricing?

General Beekeeping / embedding wires when cross wiring frames
« Last post by rober on Today at 10:03:33 am »
for those who are cross wiring frames what heat source are you using? I tried jumper wires at each end of the frame that were hooked to a 12 volt battery & that was way too much power & the wire glowed red in a heartbeat.
also if the wire is not completely imbedded will the bees avoid that area?
Pests and Diseases / Re: Australian sugar ants
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Today at 08:51:32 am »
I am a little late to this conversation, but I just saw an advertisement for this product.  They claim it is not an insecticide. www.repelant.com  There is a short video that explains how the product works.  It looks like you can buy this through Amazon.  Apparently you spray or paint it on vertical surfaces, the bees can't attach to the surface so they eventually give up. 
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Parent Hive management after Swarms
« Last post by Robo on Today at 06:52:08 am »
Seems like it was a super strong hive to give off two swarms and still be pretty strong.  I would want to keep the genetics and let nature take it's course.   The only negative one can pose is that the genetics are "swarmy",  but that is the normal nature of honeybees and I would err on the side of having strong hives that swarm than hives that don't survive.   Just keep an eye on it and be prepared to give them a queen if the mating process does not work out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10