Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Any and Every Thing / Re: Bakersdozen cast Iron skillet restore
« Last post by neillsayers on Today at 10:51:10 PM »
Nice B13, thanks :)
General Beekeeping / Re: Too lazy for an inner cover?
« Last post by neillsayers on Today at 10:46:17 PM »
The main reason for the inner cover is the bees will propolize the telecoping cover shut and make pulling it difficult to impossible. Not as much a problem if you are in the hive often-like checking level on feed or if you are using migratory covers. :)
Homestead / Re: cast iron
« Last post by neillsayers on Today at 10:41:59 PM »
Okay, that settles it-we are not coming to visit! :)
Any and Every Thing / Re: ole Theo the bee dog
« Last post by neillsayers on Today at 10:39:55 PM »
YEP! I know how he feels! Ate too much! Went from 172 lbs to nearly 200 again being back with the wife.. I swear the woman likes it when I can't tie my own boots AND breathe at the same time!

She's a keeper!
Any and Every Thing / Re: Off the grid
« Last post by LazyBkpr on Today at 10:34:51 PM »
LOL
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Treatment bees or Treatment free ?
« Last post by yes2matt on Today at 10:28:16 PM »
River,
What i was asking is that I've not been successful wintering 10 deeps. This year if i keep 5 over 5 nucs busting at the seems.  Would it be easier to overwinter , so I can expand the next year ?
I'm in a real similar situation, and my opinion is you should set your box to fit the cluster. If you choose not to treat for mite infestation, the bees will be weak toward the middle of summer going into our dearth, and then between robbing, SHB, and wax moths, a good colony can get taken down in a hurry. One defense is to keep them in a cavity that is small enough for them to defend.

For me, that meant over wintering two colonies in five-frame nuc boxes this past year, because that was the biggest space they could handle. They made it just fine.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

General Beekeeping / Re: Relocating Nucs For 48 Hours?
« Last post by yes2matt on Today at 10:16:34 PM »
Or a robber screen works instead of a branch.

General Beekeeping / Too lazy for an inner cover?
« Last post by yes2matt on Today at 10:14:38 PM »
This might belong in "101"...

How much trouble will I have: I made some splits today, and miscalculated my equipment.  Normally I would have a sort of inner cover across the whole top of the nuc and feed through a hole in that. But I came up short an inner cover or feeder cover. So I just put the mason jar upside down on the top of the frames, put an empty  5fr box on and then the outer cover. Leaves a nuc sized empty space above the brood nest.

What will happen if I don't fix it?

Products Of The Hive / Re: Tulip poplar honey ?
« Last post by Lburou on Today at 09:29:38 PM »
Our early honey is lighter and the later honey is very dark.  Like this:

Calendar & Events / Re: Come to Kansas! Don't miss this!
« Last post by Jen on Today at 09:27:45 PM »
What a great event! The learning will be invaluable. I will just be back home from a vacation including a flight, so I won't be able to make it. It sounds like fun tho!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10