Author Topic: How I Collect Propolis From The Hive  (Read 9543 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
How I Collect Propolis From The Hive
« on: August 22, 2014, 02:11:26 am »
This is how I collect propolis when I'm in the hive. If your inspecting your hive in the afternoon the propolis will scrape off like frosting. Put the scrappings into an aluminun pie pan, bee parts and all. After it's been in the freezer overnight you can put the scrapings into a zippie plastic bag and hammer down the propolis until its cracked pepper size, you may need to put the baggie back into the freezer a few times cause as the propolis warms up it will stick together again. Then keep it in the freezer until your are ready to make your tincture. Tincture recipe on this forum subject. Or pm me  :)

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: How I Collect Propolis From The Hive
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 02:20:56 am »
jen, is this your recipe or instructions here for tincture?:

Propolis Tincture
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 02:56:46 am »
Another time and place for collecting propolis is when you extract honey.   The edges of the vertical sides of the frames are often lined with propolis.  Scraping it off the edges when the frames are already out of the box for extracting is a relatively simple task and makes the process of manipulating the frames easier when you return them to the supers and then to the hives.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 07:59:44 am »
If you are collecting it in any quantity for sale, they make a propolis mat. You place it on top of your hive in place of your inner cover, and set a solid bottom board on top of it. The bees seal it up to eliminate draft. Once it's full, simply remove it, place in a freezer overnight, and then remove it, flex it, and all the clean propolis just falls off. Then put the mat on another hive.
Most of us have a hive or two that seems to create proplis like mad, and these would be great candidates.

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 02:37:45 pm »
Hi Perry, I think I have one of those in the shed. At this point I'm not selling but making small bottles to give to people who are interested. I have thought about marketing it, but if I bottle it and put it in a shop, people don't know what it is, so I need some time to add a tiny little flyer attached to the bottle explaining it's virtues. Maybe during the winter  :)

By the way, if anyone is suffering from stomach ulcers, you can put a pea size piece of propolis into your mouth and let it slowly dissolve, this is one of the most valuable virtues of propolis. Don't chew it like gum, you will NEVER get it off of your teeth. Just roll it around in your mouth and let the saliva take it down to the stomach. PLUG!  :D

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 06:00:50 pm »
Uh oh...   so... lets say..  this feller with ulcers axidentally swallered the proplis?  Is he gonna have a hard time...  well, uhh, I mean.. Like,,  POOPIN?

:laugh:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 06:06:57 pm »
Uh oh...   so... lets say..  this feller with ulcers axidentally swallered the proplis?  Is he gonna have a hard time...  well, uhh, I mean.. Like,,  POOPIN?

Oh, I think things will work out in the end for ya Scott!  :D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 07:03:31 pm »
Ahahahha LOL You two!

It would be a smooth move my friend, AND! if you have any pollups nsuch in the colon and intestines, propolis will heal that as well! I promise  ;) 8)

And how many colonoscopies have you guys had.... so far? I do believe the age of 50 is a good year to start.

I also know that one (or more if you want) drop of prop tincture in your coffee every day helps keep the doc away. 

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 11:42:55 pm »

Oh, I think things will work out in the end for ya Scott!  :D

Whew..  so in the end everything will come out all right...   uh.. I'll let em know!!   :yes:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 11:19:29 pm »
................. :D :D :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor