Author Topic: Fix It Chick promotes beeswax in the tool box  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Fix It Chick promotes beeswax in the tool box
« on: February 02, 2015, 09:21:07 pm »
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2015/feb/01/fix-it-chick-10-versatile-uses-beeswax/

Here is a little back ground information.
This is a column in the newspaper in Lawrence, KS.  Linda Cottin writes a weekly column regarding do it yourself home repairs.  She and her husband own a mom and pop hardware store on the main drag in Lawrence.  Yes, you pay a little more when you buy something there as apposed to the big box store.  Last summer I went into their hardware store looking for a small ball bearing for my extractor.  The young man assisting customers spent 20 minutes with me while others waited.  He had to order the bearing and check when it would arrive.  The bearing cost 19 cents.  When I returned to pick up the bearing, I made sure to buy some #8 hardware cloth, which they cut to order.  My nephew has had an after school job there for several years now.  They are a great asset to the community.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Fix It Chick promotes beeswax in the tool box
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 09:35:35 pm »
Nice story Baker- I love the mom and pop stores, and try and make them my first stop  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 07:47:37 am »
I tried the hardware business..  I made more money selling the fishing gear. Not because the hardware didnt sell, but because I couldnt GET IT at a reasonable price.. not a good price, just reasonable...
   I sold about 300 dollars a month in bolts, but was having difficulty finding bolts.. so i called Rockford and spoke with a man there about ordering bolts directly.  He asked me how much business I did a month.  I told him 300 dollars..  He hung up on me..
   I called back and asked for management.. the manager told me he should not have hung up on me, but that when i can do 3000 a month in bolts to call them back, until then, they were not interested in doing business with me..
   I can drive to tractor supply, and buy bolts CHEAPER than I could get them from any of the manufacturers..
  So, yes, I believe the monopoly the large chain stores have is destroying our country. Our jobs, and our communities..
   DESTROY the large chain stores, and you would see MILLIONS employed locally in all of the mom and pop stores that re opened. Or even better, make it possible for the little chain stores to BUY at the SAME cost the big stores do. My Hardware store would still be open, I would still employ a couple high school kids and a cashier.
   My hat is off to them if they are still hanging on and making a profit!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 08:10:29 am »
When I was in business, I asked the coke distributor why I could buy coke at wal-mart cheaper than from coke. He just said compare the cost of delivering a truck load of coke to one store, compared to delivering 10 cases to 100 stores in 3 towns. The fuel, wear & tear on the truck, driver wages, etc.  I could see his point.

I went to wal-mart and bought cases for .25 a can, and sold them for .50 a can.  I just didn't sell cases.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 09:55:39 am »
I neglected to mention that she also plays a part in organizing the Farmers Market.  That particular farmer's market is huge and has a lot of customers.  It is downtown near the hardware store.  It's so big they have local musicians scattered through out the market playing for tips.  My fiddle teacher is one of them.  I can tell that he depends on his "Saturday morning gig" as he puts it.  Once again, she plays a big part in the local economy.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 10:48:17 am »
neat........
l like my local hardware store, they are always willing to help you with something, and if they don't have it, they get it for you. great customer service.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Curtchann

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 11:13:38 am »
I alway's support my local hardware and the rest of the mom and pop shops. I may pay a little more, but factor in gas and time and it's pretty reasonable.

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 12:07:29 pm »
 I always support the hardware store here until home depot move in less than a mile away and they lost so much busy-ness they close their doors, what a shame.

Ken