Author Topic: TICKS!  (Read 2776 times)

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
TICKS!
« on: June 08, 2018, 04:15:26 pm »
UGH! They are horrible this year.  Do any of you spray yourself or your clothing before going out and working your bees?  Are other parts of the country having trouble with ticks too?
I went to check on hives out in the country last Monday.  I forgot my Deep Woods Off!  I'll admit sometimes I just don't think.  I realized I had forgotten the spray, but I could have stopped and bought another.  It didn't occur to me to do so.  I lost count of the ticks I have found.  They are deer ticks and tiny seed ticks.  I found another one on my neck this morning.  I washed my bee suit twice then my shoes.  There were ticks still alive on my shoes after I brought them out of the clothes washer.  I think there were ticks still alive on the bee suit too.  I worked my backyard hives yesterday and I think that is where the last one came from. Creepy Crawly!  :no:

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: TICKS!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 09:13:50 pm »
B13,

Reports around here are that it is a bad year for ticks. Hate the little blood suckers.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 09:28:12 pm »
We had a Veterinarian in our Club who treats his outerwear with permethrin whenever he travels to insect infested areas. 
Lee_Burough

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 09:37:54 am »
I emailed our local club president.  He had made a recommended a product at a spring meeting.  It was permethin.  He sprays his clothes with it and buys it at Bass Pro.  I looked on line and this is it, I believe. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sawyer-permethrin-insect-repellent-for-clothing  It says it will last through 6 washings and is highly rated.
It seems like the little tiny ticks leave a swollen sore spot a lot longer than the bigger ones.  Perhaps there are other factors to consider like length of attachment.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 12:08:58 pm »
Our tick population seems to be down this year as I've only found two or three so far, certainly no more than a half dozen.  It might be because of the -20F / -30F  temps, with windchills at -50F, we saw this winter.  I'm tempted to say I'd prefer having the ticks, but I won't.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 01:29:26 pm »
You can read 3,500 reviews for permethrin on Amazon.
Lee_Burough

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 06:37:25 pm »
Permethrin like Lburou said works for me,i also take a Garlic capsule daily. I use too eat the seed pods off the Garlic growing up and heard my Grandpa tell Mom, the way jack eats Garlic he will never have worms and it helps keep the Ticks and Chiggers off him. I wonder why everyone stayed up wind from me when we were talking to each other. ??? :laugh: :laugh: Jack

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 06:31:20 am »
I finally found the product, after wandering all over Bass Pro Shop, in camping.  I will be applying it to my bee suit today before I head out to work hives.  The label says that 2 hours is the drying time.  You want to do it outdoors and be sure not to have contact with your skin. 
Jack, I always marveled at people who never seemed to be bothered by mosquito bites, chiggers, etc.  Now I know what their prevention is!  :D

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 02:23:47 pm »
permethrin is the active ingredient in gardstar. you can but a 1 Qt. bottle of concentrate that will make many gallons for $14.00-$16.00 at most feed stores & use it to treat your clothes & soak the ground around your hives for hive beetle larva. the concentrate is a lot cheaper than the bass pro & amazon spray. I'd used a more diluted mix for clothes than what's recommended on the bottle. the feed store concentrate is for use in barn stalls, kennels & feedlots.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 08:00:27 pm »
rober, be careful around your hives.  Permethrin is lethal to bees.