Author Topic: Is this a queen cup?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Newbee

Is this a queen cup?
« on: June 08, 2018, 10:27:03 pm »

So I was able to do a hive inspection this week, and saw this on one of the outer frames. It looks like the makings of a queen cup to me, no?
For background info, hive was started 4/28 with a package of purebred russian bee's from Kelley Bee's. About half of the frames were already drawn comb from last year's hive (robbed out, total loss), about half were new frames (wax coated foundation).

My questions is, is it possible this is a queen cup? Given the age (new install from a package), is it possible? 10-frame deeps, there's a lotta room in there... but if it is a queen, that s'ok by me, I have another hive (just haven't put it together yet!). I was actually hoping to split this hive, just didn't think it would be possible this year. Added a 2nd hive body during the inspection I took this pic. The inner frames were well covered w/ capped honey and brood, outer frames were as you see, mostly open (starting to save some honey it looks like). Good mix of larvae throughout the one hive body, some single cells, some grains of rice, some developed, some capped. Queen seems to be healthy and laying, despite the fact I haven't seen her since I set her on top of the frames the day I installed the package. Hive is in a rural location, lots of tree's in the area, limited flowers (mostly wooded for miles, some grassland/pasture). I notice sugar consumption seemed to drop off, so I removed hive feeder and put inner cover on w/ queen excluder and outer cover. Might try to put a super on towards the end of season if possible, but mostly concerned w/ health of the hive, and getting all my frames with drawn comb. Honey can come next year, I need the hive healthy for the fall, a dearth is likely coming for much of the summer months. A split opportunity would be welcome, but not if it risks the health of the hive. I can split it next year!

Thanks for the advice!

- Kevin

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Is this a queen cup?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 11:23:10 pm »
yes a queen cup.

how is your queen doing?

i wouldn't worry about it, ya have russians, they like to keep you busy and guessing.......... :D
kevin, russians like to build all sorts of cups and cells, a just in case thing.
if your hive is not doing well, no sign of a queen laying or not laying well, and/or the bees are snarky then houston we have a problem because they will build cells to replace her.

also, a good article:

Queen Cell Identification

the pdf file also includes info on queen cups.

i wouldn't split this hive this year, wait until next season
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Newbee

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 08:06:42 am »
Thanks River. Queen _seems_ to be doing well... haven't seen her since the day she went in. However I have seen a large amount and variety of eggs in the frames. Some tiny dots (didn't have my glasses, so that's suspect), some fully developed and ready to be capped. The hive as a whole seems 'happy', plenty of activity coming and going, and they're building comb like crazy. Just added the 2nd hive body.

- K

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 09:26:26 am »
If you can see eggs without glasses, my hat is off to you!
Sometimes just seeing eggs, larvae, etc. is good enough.  You know she has been on that frame in the last 3 days.
Riverbee, that is an excellent article.