Author Topic: How much I have forgotten  (Read 1242 times)

Offline RAST

How much I have forgotten
« on: June 12, 2018, 07:01:29 pm »
  First off, I killed a hive that was years old. Started feeding them and did 2 OA vapor treatments like I used to do, just the OA was 10 yrs old, building new comb in a second box. A week later I started seeing lots of dead bees in front of the hive and emergency queen cells. cut it to 4 frames. Tried a new queen, but still lost the hive and the queen. Never did the 3rd OA treatment by the way. All bees on the ground in front of the hive. Brought the frames in a box up to the house, figured somebody's bees would clean them out and in less than 30 minutes they were swarmed, OK, I'll get it out of my truck early tomorrow. Swarmed at daylight the next morning, when the sun was right I got a direction and  followed them, found a hive I had forgotten I had down by the marsh. I put the rest of the frames in an old box to get cleaned out, was gone for a week and a swarm moved in. I had a few more frames to clean and forgot how robbing starts. Had to put a robber screen on the front of the swarm box and tonight I found wax moth larva in the cut capping in the bottom of the box while putting a division board in the box and the bottom board is nailed on.  Picture is the forgotten hive.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: How much I have forgotten
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:07:18 am »
That's quite a journey RAST.  How long ago was it you did beekeeping? 

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:36:24 am »
There are many variables in beekeeping.  And they keep changing.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline RAST

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 02:54:37 pm »
 Only 8, maybe 10 years.