Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Beekeeping / Re: Can bees negatively imprint on the beekeeper?
« Last post by Jen on Yesterday at 11:37:16 pm »
Hey Jer! A thought, unscented laundry soap, unscented fabric softener sheets, unscented deodorant, unscented shampoo, unscented toothpaste, unscented gum, unscented beer...

kidding………  :D :laugh: ;D
General Beekeeping / Re: Can bees negatively imprint on the beekeeper?
« Last post by NorCal on Yesterday at 11:00:26 pm »
I rarely eat bananas, and don’t wear sunglasses in the apiary.   I’m going to try switching deodorants and soap when I get home and see if that helps ;)
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Parent Hive management after Swarms
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 08:59:06 pm »
kathi,

please describe your parent hive for us, for example how many frames of bees, how many sealed queen cells, where are the cells located?

are you using langstroth equipment? 10 frame deeps? do you have one deep on or two deeps on? describe your set up.

are your frames all drawn?
General Beekeeping / Re: coating plastic foundation
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 08:55:47 pm »
lol........... ;D :D

what apis said:
"They have addressed the beeswax coating and have improved their coating process from the first plastic foundation. But you need to be in a flow or feeding the bees to get them to draw out foundation whether wax or plastic with a wax coating."

in the spring/early summer is the absolute best time to get bees to draw out foundation. you need to be in a good flow and/or feed them to get them to draw out the foundation, lot's of young bees and a good healthy hive. waxing plastic foundation even if it comes 'waxed' also helps.
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Weak hives
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 08:46:54 pm »
lastfling...........

just looking for an update on your two hives?
General Beekeeping / Re: Pollen
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 08:40:04 pm »
blair, great replies by apis, bakers and efmesch...........

not moldy, they do prefer fresh, but will utilize stored pollen as ef said, and i have sometimes used two frames.
General Beekeeping / Re: First out-yard
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 08:24:37 pm »
" mosquitos! Holy camoly! Is there a bug spray I can use and wear shorts or do I need to stash some pants?

> smoker! So, supposing I had not brought my smoker along, could I go to the corner store and get some cigarettes? Other ideas?"

deet.
if you are going to wear shorts, 3m's product ULTRATHON, cream or spray. if not take some light nylon pants with you to wear. might have to spray your ankles or apply the cream depending on your footwear and socks or lack there off. this stuff will keep the skeeters and everything else off. gnats, biting flies, ticks etc.

no smoker? get another one and keep it and your fuel and whatever you wear in/or extra in  your vehicle or wherever you remember to take it with you.

what's the boyscout/girlscout thing?  be prepared?............. :D

it's always a good idea to have an extra smoker or extra 'gear' in your vehicle to check out yards.

wait til a bear disseminates your hive or hives and you realize you have none of the following:
no smoker, no veil, and no coveralls.......... :D

Beekeeping 101 / Re: Parent Hive management after Swarms
« Last post by apisbees on Yesterday at 08:05:55 pm »
It is still early and lots of time for a queen to mate and get laying again.
Any and Every Thing / Re: Difficult Time
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 07:54:47 pm »
no neil............ god bless you and your family and most of all, carrie....
and the guardian angel watching over her!
Any and Every Thing / Re: Difficult Time
« Last post by neillsayers on Yesterday at 04:48:46 pm »
Thanks RB and God bless! :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10