Author Topic: Local Pollinator Garden Park  (Read 3929 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Local Pollinator Garden Park
« on: July 20, 2015, 10:37:28 pm »
This is a nearby pollinator garden.  It was installed by Chip Taylor, entomology professor at the University of Kansas and founder and director of Monarch Watch.  www.monarchwatch.org
My presence scared off a pair of goldfinches but those were the only creatures aware of me.

Numerous butterflies and bees were taking advantage of garden.

There are paths within the flower beds so that one can get up close and also read plant names.

The various beds focus on attracting different species.  As you can see, one if for attracting bees, another is there for birds and another for butterflies.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Re: Local Pollinator Garden Park
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:50:21 am »
Baker....how nice that this has been established. I hope many people stop and take a moment to view it.
We have a section of our yard that bit by bit are removing the sod and replacing with native plants for the pollinators and birds.  We are winding a gravel path through the garden that will end at the road. We have lots of walkers on our street and my plan is to place signage to invite people in to take a tour and, hopefully, gain some knowledge.  Every day I check out the plants and I am amazed at the variety of pollinators I have never seen before.  Some of the colors on the bees are fantastic. 

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:22:26 pm »
Les, your garden plan sounds fantastic!

I too, have taken about 100 sq ft of the front yard to put in a pollinator garden.  We are the last house before you reach a city park and have lots of walkers go past.  I always get positive comments on the garden. 

The center is left unplanted for a reason.  We have a nice double gate there to allow access to the back yard with a vehicle.  Very, very handy at times.  In past years I have planted dutch clover in that path.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 01:32:01 pm »
Baker....so much nicer to sit and watch the pollinators than riding on a mower LOL.