Author Topic: Brush Pile Burning  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Noise Maker

Brush Pile Burning
« on: December 07, 2017, 12:25:17 am »
At some point this winter, I need to burn my brush pile when I finish clearing the fences. Its about 450 feet or so away from the hive and will wait until the wind is blowing away from the hive. However, it will probably smolder for a day to three days. If the wind does shift in their direction, the majority will probably go higher than the hive. I don't see any problems, but thought I would ask i there are any issues I should take into consideration. I could break the pile down into smaller piles with the tractor that would not burn as long if I had to, or am I thinking too much?
I don't know what I'm doing, but am doing it with confidence.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Brush Pile Burning
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:57:22 pm »
NM,
If it is as dry there as it is here, I would hesitate to burn and certainly wouldn't leave it unattended.  We haven't had any precipitation in 7 or so weeks and the temps were way above normal during most of that time.   We have a burn ban in place. 

Offline Noise Maker

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 05:05:45 pm »
We probably have a burn ban here also, I just havn't paid any attention to it as It will be a month or two before I'm ready to burn it. We havn't had much rain here this fall. Have been spending my "working" hours making space in the shop to actually work in it, and studying frame building and sizes. Learning more every day!!

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:52:29 pm »
Smoke, ash, and burning embers from forest fires and burning off of grass in fields and along fence lines and ditches happen all the time. the bees can handle it  and it doesn't upset them I have seen hives chard on the out side with the bees still in the hive. just keep it from burning the hives but other than that I would not worry.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Noise Maker

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 09:03:26 pm »
Apisbees thats what I was looking for. I've spent more than a few hours on firelines in both woods and fields in my younger years and have no urge to do it again. I was hoping that the bees didnt think I had a giant smoker and would panic. I have a Far Side cartoon image in my head thinking about it :laugh:

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 12:52:36 am »
This should give you some assurance of how resilient bees are and what they can withstand and tolerate.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/65566008/hot-exhaust-sparks-grass-fire
Before weed eaters I have burned grass right up to the sides of hives.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Newbee

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 08:42:38 am »
Ditto. Had a small brush pile about 200 ft. from my hive (with some big, wet, punky logs in the middle!), fired it up a few times (and there's still some 'stumps'), nary a problem for the little girls.