Author Topic: MAQS?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline SmokeyBee

MAQS?
« on: January 19, 2018, 05:51:15 am »
After my 100% loss this year, probably due to mites, I've read up on the various treatment methods. I'm leaning towards MAQS because it looks easy. However, as I read old threads here from people who obviously know what they're doing, it seems most are using OA.

My assumption is that no one would drag around a car battery, etc. if the MAQS were just as effective.

Is my assumption correct? Is OA the way to go?

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: MAQS?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 10:05:19 am »
I used MAQS last Sprinf and Fall. And now I’ve learned there is an expiration date. Apparently they release their chemicals too quickly if past their expiration.

I’ve also learned from the honeybee health coalition handout on varroa that I should use MAQS, or some other treatment when there is a lot of brood in the frames, and use OAV in the winter, when the hives are mostly bloodless. A lot of the local beeks are doing OAV this month.

https://honeybeehealthcoalition.org/varroa/
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 02:37:28 pm »
I have used MAQS and find them to be effective overall, especially if temps are monitored during use. Too hot and you will have problems.
Oxalic acid is most effective during broodless periods.

I am somewhat concerned with the number of people that seem to be using Oxalic frequently, say once a week for 3 weeks, etc. While I don't have a problem with that specifically, I am amazed that folks are using something that in many cases is not approved for use in a bee colony. "Washing" frames etc. may be a cute way to skirt regulatory law, but heaven help you if someone gets sick and you are found to be using something not approved for use in your colonies.
I am also concerned about the number of folks that use Oxalic with honey supers on their hives. Even when Oxalic is approved for use (it is here in Nova Scotia) it is not approved for use with honey supers on.

I suppose if you consume the honey yourself the risk is minimal, but if you are gifting or selling it I would be extremely concerned.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: SmokeyBee

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 04:45:58 pm »
I have been using MAQS for my main treatments the past few years.  FormicPro is a new formulation of formic acid from NOD.  I will probably go with it as my main treatment in the future.  I am also using OA vaporization now.  We are still in the lowest brood period in my location, but queens can be ramping up at any time.  I have used OA vaporization as an emergency treatment in summer when a hive had a 30 count on a sugar roll.  I used Fischer's BeeQuick and a fume pad to chase the bees out of the honey super and removed it.  After the OA treatment had had time to "settle" I went back to this hive and put the honey super back on.  This let me do an emergency knock down when temperatures were too high for any other treatment and avoid "contamination" of the honey super.  I never did get around to taking any honey after the OA vaporization, but I would have felt comfortable doing so using this method.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 08:21:55 pm »
I used MAQS in the past and last fall.  I try to rotate mite treatments so that they don't build up an immunity to any one treatment. If I remember correctly, they should not be applied if the temps are going to be 85 degrees or more.  At least in the first few days of application.  MAQS should be left in place for 2 weeks. 
Oxalic acid works best if applied during broodless periods.  As varroa reproduces in the cell with the larvae, you can see why it should be applied in late winter or early spring which is typically broodless times.  I believe they (researchers) are finding that OA drip works better than OA vapor.  Randy Oliver of Scientific Research is  working on a different form of application which uses shop towels soaked in OA.  Cost wise, OA costs pennies per application.  MAQS costs a lot more.  For my few hives, I believe I paid $10 per colony.
Like Perry, I have read posts by folks on this forum that treat with OA at the drop of a hat.  I would be concerned of shortening the queen's life not to mention disrupting the colony's activities.  Test for varroa early in the spring.  If you detect 3 or more varroa per 300 bees, I would treat before putting supers on.
I am glad you are going to try again.  There is a lot to learn.  Better luck next year!

Offline SmokeyBee

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 08:29:01 am »
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 12:00:56 pm »
Smokey, Timing and costs are the reasons I problems using with formic.  Most years in the fall it doesn't cool down enough until late September or October here. I have found I need to knock them back earlier in my area. Cost can really add up if doing 5 bucks a hive. I've done the half treatments during a cool snap and had really good results with that.  The full treatment I;ve experienced some queen loss when pushing the high application point, especially bad when they need to be building up.

I've come around to being a big fan of formic, Its quick to apply and the short time for treatment works well for me in the fall for hives that are away from home. The ability to leave supers on is also a big plus for me when letting them finish up the season and determining whether to pull super or leave it on.  I try to keep a tub around to apply when crunched for time.  I have some of the formic pro for this spring to treat some that are out of the way that have brood.  It should be a really good spring application for me.  But for hives and nucs closer I will be doing OA, mainly due to the cost.  With ten or twelve I'd probably use formic mostly.