Author Topic: a good couple of days  (Read 1816 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
a good couple of days
« on: July 30, 2018, 08:01:42 pm »
Hey Everyone,
  A couple of months back I got a call from a gal that works in a nursing home about 45 minutes from here.  She said they have a "continued learning" program where the residents try to learn about something new each week and would we be willing to come down and give a talk about honey bees and beekeeping.  After talking with her awhile I mentioned that the local nursing home had brought a van of residents here to our house and parked right next to the hives while Josh went through the hives and I was inside the van explaining what Josh was doing and why.  My thought was instead of but no, she thought that was a great idea and they could do that the day after our presentation.
   Nervous beyond words, Josh and I showed up at the nursing home at 9:30, set things up, got introduced to the group (some were just local folks interested in honey bees) and started in.  In the blink of an eye an hour and a little more had gone by!  It was FANTASTIC! We fielded some very good questions from people who were obviously paying attention and just had a ball! The "talk" was supposed to run an hour and I thought we'd be doing good to stretch it to 45 minutes.  An hour or so later, after we were done many of them hung around to talk and ask more questions.  We weren't able to start carrying stuff out until a quarter to 12!  I met a guy who was 94 and looked to be in better shape than me!  Then I met a gal, who's father had been a beekeeper, who was 101 and called the 94 year old kid!
   The following day (Friday) we were to get started at 10:00 but the van showed up at 9:30.  I climbed in and explained we were still waiting for Josh and again they started in with questions!  One gal who had attended the previous day had brought her sister as she had had such a good time! We didn't head to the hives until 10:30, with Josh and I answering questions the whole time!  Josh found a queen and brought the frame to the windows and pointed her out so everyone could see.  He also brought up a nice frame of mixed brood with a good example of a honey arc, pointing out the larva, capped brood and eggs, as well as the honey and pollen.  Next he brought up a beautiful frame of capped honey and that's when they started clamoring for honey sales!  Unfortunately we were out of honey and weren't going to extract until yesterday.  I thought they may attack so I brought out some lip balm and gave them each one.  That's when they started asking about maple syrup!  After using the bathroom and walking around a while to stretch their legs they finally left at 12:45!  It was supposed to be an hour, from 10:00 to 11:00.  Started at 9:30 and waved goodbye at 12:45. Smiling and loving ever minute of it.  Sorry to ramble on about it but it truly was a great experience.  Thanks for listening, Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.
The following users thanked this post: riverbee, Kathi

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: a good couple of days
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 08:26:52 pm »
Kudos to you and Josh for representing the beekeeping community the way you did.  :yes:
I also find that no matter how much time you think you have it is never enough. Once the questions start time just goes out the window.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: tedh

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 09:05:24 pm »
WEll done!  That is a good story.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 10:08:36 pm »
Fantastic Ted and Josh! I would love to have been a little mouse in your shirt pocket watching the crowd.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 09:50:32 am »
Thanks for sharing that heart warming story!  We often forget about our senior citizens.  Bringing the van to the hives is a wonderful idea.   :goodjob:

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 10:53:43 pm »
ted...........

simply awesome, enjoyed your post, thank you!

something about bees and something about sharing our knowledge/experience with others it's just incredible.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 02:09:23 pm »
Sounds like you have teacher's blood coursing through your veins.  Who knows how long it will take before the word spreads and you start getting invitations from all over to give lectures on bees.
Good work!