Author Topic: Bee suit ?  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Bee suit ?
« on: August 25, 2018, 03:20:11 pm »
Borrowed a beeks ultra breeze suit.  Didn't like it, screen out front ( eye sight level, sweat would hang on fine mesh. And would have to shake veil so i wasn't looking through 😓

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Bee suit ?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 04:23:05 pm »
I use an ultrabreeze and haven't had that happen, but I do wear a sweatband (bandana) to keep sweat from running down my glasses.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 06:52:52 pm »
Tedh,
I don't wear glasses . The sweat wanted to collect on fine mesh screen in my view and didn't want to run down.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 07:19:56 pm »
Maybe my headband soaks up the sweat, keeping it from hitting the mesh?  Ted

Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Some Day

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 08:47:47 pm »
I wear a baseball type cap when I wear the ultra breeze.  The bill of the cap keeps the veil away from my face.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 10:26:13 pm »
Me too! I have bandanas around my forehead just above my eyebrows, keeps the sweat back.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 11:26:48 pm »
mikey, have looked at the ultra breezes, but hesitant to pull the trigger on one because of the veil design.  i don't like wearing a ball cap under a veil.
i have a similar designed extra bee suit and i dislike it for the same reason and also always adjusting the thing unless i have a ball cap on.
also don't like wearing a bandana around my head, that's just me.

oh, also, limited vision compared to another bee suit i have, full round veil.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 12:47:39 am »
I like the full round veil too Riverbee
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 04:32:14 pm »
Full round veil would be a serious bonus to the ultra breeze. I have two, a coat and a full suit. When it is HOT out, I praise that suit every time the breeze blows and it feels like AC blowing through it, but have also been annoyed at the veil.
   I don't wear gloves, even if I have to wear the suit, so I just flick the veil with a thumb and the sweat stuck in the mesh vanishes.

It has it's disadvantages, but the security I feel when wearing it more than makes up for the insecurities I have felt wearing other suits in the past. A bee can still get you through the ultra breeze, but it has to be tight for that to happen.

Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 04:37:39 pm »
My vision is still good . Didn't thank about hat under apollo veil. Thought it was engendered a little different.

Offline Mcedwar

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 05:22:28 pm »
Does anyone have a Guardian suit with the zipper to open the veil?  They are new since last year when they had a kickstarter. I found out about them by watching this somewhat cheesy video https://youtu.be/gnmfQlvVlzs

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 09:20:39 pm »
I've yet to find the ideal suit jacket. seems like they all have a drawback. I tried several ventilated jackets. I do not like fencing veils & ended up with this one. so far i can live with it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Ventilated-3-Layer-bee-beekeeping-beekeeper-jacket-Round-Veil-3XL-UV24/192637781732?epid=6021238956&hash=item2cda1b46e4:g:JG0AAOSwRdNbAypn

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 10:22:05 pm »
...i don't like wearing a ball cap under a veil...oh, also, limited vision compared to another bee suit i have, full round veil.
I strongly dislike the fencing veil as well.  I bought a full round veil with a zipper and had a seamstress in our Club sew it on my ventilated jacket -I gave the fencing veil away.  The round veil has larger holes in it, allowing better visualization of the honeycombs.

I wear a real pith helmet like THIS or THIS inside that round veil.  The so-called 'pith helmets' sold by bee suppliers have narrow brims and do not fit well because they allow the seam for the veil to slip down until it obstructs my forward frame of view. Those imitation pith helmets don't last very long either.   The genuine pith helmet is fairly cool to wear in the heat, it insulates from the top.

JMO   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 12:51:34 pm »
my pullover jacket requires a hat so i use a real straw pith helmet as well. i lucked out a few years ago & was at a cabelas when they were clearing them out & bought 4 wide brimmed helmets for $9.00 per.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 01:05:05 am »
great discussion!

"Full round veil would be a serious bonus to the ultra breeze. I have two, a coat and a full suit. When it is HOT out, I praise that suit every time the breeze blows and it feels like AC blowing through it, but have also been annoyed at the veil.
   I don't wear gloves, even if I have to wear the suit, so I just flick the veil with a thumb and the sweat stuck in the mesh vanishes.
   It has it's disadvantages, but the security I feel when wearing it more than makes up for the insecurities I have felt wearing other suits in the past. A bee can still get you through the ultra breeze, but it has to be tight for that to happen."

thanks scott, i would like the pros of the ultra breeze, cool, compared to my bee suits! protection? about the same i think, suit tight against the skin or she found a crinkle or nitch or just got in somewhere........... :D 
it would be very cool if ultra breeze designed these with a round veil!

"Does anyone have a Guardian suit with the zipper to open the veil?  They are new since last year when they had a kickstarter. I found out about them by watching this somewhat cheesy video

"

mcedwar.....no, i do not have one of these. i watched the video (thank you) but no thank you. again limited vision in this veil, very limited vision with the way this is made and would drive me for the way it sits on the back of the head. the zip off front design? guess one needs to be away from the bees to be eating ice cream and drinking water. bees getting into the veil of a zippered suit is usually operator error, so one is going to get stung if a bee gets inadvertently trapped in. and yes i have zipped up a bee suit and attached zipped bee veil to wonder..........IS SHE ON THE INSIDE OR THE OUTSIDE......... :D my mistake. or unless one has a hole in it somewhere..... ;D  if you want instant acess to your face, just walk away from the bees some distance, or a safe distance with cranky bees and remove your veil. just my HO!

"I strongly dislike the fencing veil as well.  I bought a full round veil with a zipper and had a seamstress in our Club sew it on my ventilated jacket -I gave the fencing veil away.  The round veil has larger holes in it, allowing better visualization of the honeycombs.

I wear a real pith helmet like THIS or THIS inside that round veil.  The so-called 'pith helmets' sold by bee suppliers have narrow brims and do not fit well because they allow the seam for the veil to slip down until it obstructs my forward frame of view. Those imitation pith helmets don't last very long either.   The genuine pith helmet is fairly cool to wear in the heat, it insulates from the top."

lee, great idea to sew the full round veil on the ventilated jacket.  the round veils do have better vision! i do have 2 pith helmets and have used the veils that fit these.  funny thing is, similiar to your links of pith helmets, the ones i own......... i wear them backwards, they work better for me that way.......the veil doesn't slip. mine are older, they have a short brim in the front and long brim in the back so i flipped the long brim to the front and the short brim to the back...... :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 02:34:56 pm »
i wear them backwards, they work better for me that way.......the veil doesn't slip. mine are older, they have a short brim in the front and long brim in the back so i flipped the long brim to the front and the short brim to the back...... :D
I wear the pith helmet backwards too.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 11:01:51 pm »
"I wear the pith helmet backwards too.  :)"

..... :D :D :laugh:

it works lee!
Forum Sponsor

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 08:30:18 am »
I have tried a few type veils and for my head size the fencing veil and a ball cap works about the best.
And I can drink a bottle of water through the screen.  :yes: ;D

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 10:56:57 pm »
"And I can drink a bottle of water through the screen.  :yes: ;D"

demonstration or a pic of that cbt........... :D :D :laugh:

if i did that, the water would wind up all down the front of me............. :D
Forum Sponsor