Author Topic: Yogi # 2  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Yogi # 2
« on: August 29, 2018, 07:24:53 am »
Another yard, another bear. I now have fencing up in 4 yards.

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Michelle

Re: Yogi # 2
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 08:59:37 am »
Where is your yard located? Any near me?! Sorry to see this Perry.
“One can no more approach people without love than one can approach bees without care. Such is the quality of bees...”
― Leo Tolstoy

Offline Some Day

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 10:17:48 am »
Do you think it is the same bear?  How far apart are the yards?  If it is the same bear and he keeps it up you may have to have him transplanted to another location; as in your local taxidermist's business.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 12:29:29 pm »
Sorry to see that bear damage Perry.  There are easy, permanent, cures for that issue...

Perry and Michelle, always good to hear from you.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 06:05:53 pm »

Perry and Michelle, always good to hear from you.  :)
It's always good hear from our Northern friends!

Perry, sorry that you have had run ins with Yogi and BooBoo Bear.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 06:08:50 pm »
Both of these hits are in the Gaspereau Valley on the Ridge Road. It might be the same bear, but I have been hearing from lots of folks about bear sightings all over.
I have been fortunate both times in that there was minimal damage, a few frames at best. The hard part is buying the fencers ( $$$  :o). I like the Parmak Solar 6, it packs a decent wallop.
https://parmakusa.com/product/deluxe-field-solar-pak-6/
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 09:48:48 pm »
I was told to put a piece of bacon on the fence and if they lick it they won’t be back. In your case it would be Canadian Bacon if you can find a way to lay it on the fence.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 12:06:27 am »
perry this is a hard thing to see........bear damage.
i know this isn't any consolation to you, but it could have been worse than what you already suffered; boxes all ripped up and laying in pieces, frames as well, or drug off a distance. mad bees flying everywhere....uh don't forget a veil or a smoker to figure out how to salvage what you can.......how do i know this?......... :D
it's sort of a warning, because the yogi will be back.

the parmak solar fencer is a great unit, i use them, they work well, and have never failed me in 10 years. tried other junk, but since using the parmak's, never will purchase another brand. good choice on bear problems and keeping them out. they are spendy, but well worth it considering what our hives are worth to protect them. i do shut them off during winter months, after the yogi's and boo boo's hibernate, no need to have the unit running, but probably wouldn't matter for as well built as these are.

cbt mentions baiting the wires with bacon.............i disagree. apisbees might pipe in as well about baiting the wires with bacon.

my opinion, not necessary, the parmak delivers enough voltage to discourage any bear without the need to bait with bacon.
if you want to attract a bear, just put bacon or peanut butter on a live wire.........oh and other critters as well.  they do get the message.
i have never baited my wires and i find it works for me.
the bacon is to attract them so they sniff and bite the fence......zap.........nose zinged, tongue zinged.  with that said.... bears typically don't give up.

i hope you don't suffer any additional bear damage perry!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 02:17:42 am »
Been dealing with these beautiful varmints most of my life. I build my bear fence with cattle panels supported every 4 feet. 4-6 inches above the fence is a hot line. About 18 inches above the ground is a scare wire.
The secret to any fencer is good grounding. Use a copperclad grounding stake like folks use for home grounding and drive that sucker as far as you can in the ground. Attach to the cattle panel with heavy grounding wire and clamps.

A bear is powerful enough to wallow down almost any fence made but she will always start by sniffing over the fence. That's where the bacon idea comes from, others use apple wrapped in wire and hanging from the hot line like a Christmas tree ornament.  When that hot wire makes a circuit to the cattle panel through her snout she will let out a bellow you will never forget! :)

Good Luck
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 02:49:22 pm »
...When that hot wire makes a circuit to the cattle panel through her snout she will let out a bellow you will never forget!

But, will the bear remember?  ;)

Perry, I use a Parmark 6.  It has been good for more than five years.  The factory repaired it (reasonably) last year.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 08:34:09 pm »
Yogi # 2 came back for a repeat visit exactly 7 days later. When at the market today the property owner said he thought my wires looked a bit "droopy" so after the market I took a drive out. Sure enough, the wires were all still up, but clearly something tried at 2 different areas to get through. The insulators (the 2 lowest on a rod) had been pushed up to the top insulator, so something clearly tried to go in low and took a snap and reared up, taking the wire and insulators up with it. Same thing on the opposite side of the fenced yard. I guess it worked because no hives had been touched at all. ;D
Forum Supporter

Offline RAST

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 08:36:21 pm »
Hope it continues to work.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 12:18:28 am »
Well done Perry!  I hope that bear remembers the shock and stays away.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 11:03:07 pm »
they do go low perry, i think my first wire is 6 or 8" above ground. 

when i get a droop in mine, just like you described, i know a bear has been poking around, and sometimes i see a little 'evidence' as well in the near vicinity........ :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor