Author Topic: Mushrooms and bees  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Mushrooms and bees
« on: September 08, 2018, 10:46:11 pm »
30 minute video that gets real interesting around the halfway point when bees enter the conversation. The first half is interesting but a bit over my head, but then the bee part caught my attention.

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Mushrooms and bees
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 12:29:21 am »
Thanks for the video link Perry.  :yes: The idea of magical properties of mushrooms for honey bees is seductive.  I like the guy.  I want his message to be true.  I hope its true.  But he is the lone voice in the wilderness with this message so far.

One tenant of the scientific method is proving research findings by the independent replication of original experiments.  I saw this video a couple years ago and have kept my eyes open for A-N-Y other reports of this magical effect on honey bees.  Haven't seen anything.

I did leave some dead tree trunks, stumps and limbs down by the river though, just in case there is something to it.  I've checked and rechecked for bee activity on that deadwood and have not seen one bee there in the past three summers. Mind you, I'm living in a much drier climate than the Northwest portion of North America.   I'd still like this magical mushroom stuff to be true.   JMObservation
Lee_Burough

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 08:19:21 am »
One of my yards is located on a farm where the couple grow medicinal plants and herbs. He is super "granola" and is incredibly positive about the properties of plants. He forwarded this to me last night and while the first half was a tough slog I certainly had my curiosity raised by the second half.
I understand when you say there needs to be back-up to his claims though. :yes:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 08:31:15 pm »
I have to share this with you. My father in law, Warren, is 91 years old now. He's been dealing with prostate cancer for years. About 20 years ago his prostate was removed. 10 years ago his PSA count was alarmingly high. He did oral chemo for awhile with not much positive result. He was then given the 'you have 3 months to live, get your affairs in order.' Warren's PSA count was so high that the docs wondered why he was still alive, but he still continued to see the oncologist once a month.

A friend of the family suggested that Warren try Reishi Mushroom Tea, one cup of steeped mushroom daily. He did. When he went back to the doc a month later, his PSA count had dropped, not remarkably, but noticably. Each month he returned to the doc the psa count continued to dropped noticably. Then after a few months it stopped dropping, sort of leveled out, but was still too high. He continued the reishi tea daily. Then, our family friend wasn't able to get the mushroom tea for Warren for awhile. When he went to his next doc apt, his PSA had risen considerably. Then we found the reishi tea online, bought it, gave it to Warren. His next appointment his PSA dropped and continued to drop again. Today, his PSA is still too high, but he is healthy and functioning quite well on his own. By this stage of prostate cancer, and this many years of having prostate cancer, and the high level of PSA, Warren should be having definate cancer pain and diminishing quickly. None of that is happening.

Reishi Tea is one of the mushrooms that is mentioned in this video.

I too had a difficult time following this guy in the vid, but I did get it enough to understand about how important Fungi is to the bee gut and the human gut.

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 07:16:24 pm »
Wait...  Reishi.. isnt that just a common Elephant ear mushroom?
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 10:58:11 pm »
We have reishis growing in our woods here. I have used it as a cleansing tonic. Didn't know about it as a cancer treatment. :)

Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a