Author Topic: I’m alive  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Les

• Gold Member
I’m alive
« on: January 02, 2021, 01:21:13 am »
Hi fellow beeks,
    I know, I know I disappeared....life just got in the way.  Coming out of Spring 2020, I had one hive remaining.  Decided to stay at one hive because I had hip replacement surgery coming up in May and did not want to add more hives because I did not know how long I would be recuperating.  Fast forward, surgery and recup went well but did not add any hives.  This hive was booming and went into fall packed with honey stores.  Now I live in the middle of suburbia, never in my wildest dreams did I think we would have bear issues.  Well, we were in Florida the last week of October and my neighbor texts me with photos showing my hive spread across the yard and it was cold!  Fellow beeks came and reassembled the hive.  We arrived home two days later.  The next day he hit the hive again.  Found the frames together and the bees all clustered together, alive!  The weather went up into the sixties and I was able to do a quick exam of the colony....no queen to be found.  Two nights later, my husband was outside with the dog
@ 6 pm and then came in the house.  At 6:30 pm I went outside to harvest some parsley and he struck again within that half hour time period. This time it was raining and the frames were spread all over the place.  Poor bees were soaking wet and cold!  Frames were missing and a couple smashed.  Quickly we reassembled what we could and moved them into our shed.  I was literally scooping up handfuls of cold wet bees into the hive.  We found two of the missing frames in the woods several days later.  So now they are still hanging in there with barely any stores and no pollen.  I am giving them dry sugar but who knows if they are going to survive.  If they are still hanging in there come the middle of February, beginning March I will need a queen.  Anybody have any ideas as to where I could get a queen for that time period?  It will be too soon to get one from the NY area, so I am hoping the breeders in the South will have queens.
My husband and I have just come thru Covid and been quarantined since 12/12.  So to say we are a little stir crazy is an understatement!  We are on the rebound!
Be careful folks and wishing you all a healthy new year!

i

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: I’m alive
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 04:26:48 am »
This isn't the only company, but Hawaii is the only area that will have them then.

https://www.konaqueen.com/
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 09:55:32 am »
If it's warm enough in the shed, give them some sugar syrup. I am not sure of the ratio to water, but I would guess 2:1.  Put the feeder under the lid, right on top of the inner cover hole. Add an extra empty box on top to protect the jar from freezing.  Poor bees. 
Why wasn't that bear in hibernation?  I bet he comes back, repeatedly.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 12:04:11 pm »
1:1 is for feeding 2:1 is for storage. Sugar water temp. must be 55 F. or above for them to take it. A bear will always return as long as they can find food.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 12:52:55 am »
I tried giving them sugar syrup, they would not take it....I am assuming the outdoor temps were just not warm enough.  I don’t think it was cold enough for the stinking bear to go into hibernation at that time.
Thanks for the tip Iddee.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 08:39:46 am »
Sorry to hear of the troubles Les. It is nice to hear from you though. Keep us posted please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Gypsi

• Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 11:55:50 am »
Wow.  a bear is something I am not prepared for. Hope you get the hive going again
Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 03:31:22 am »
1:1 is for feeding 2:1 is for storage. Sugar water temp. must be 55 F. or above for them to take it. A bear will always return as long as they can find food.

Yup. I had a nuc get the lid knocked off by a Brown Bear and must of got stung and left. The next time he came back he got 10,000 V and left real quick, and then shot in the neighbors yard. That usually works. ;)

I warm my syrup helps them take it.

Offline RAST

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 08:58:13 am »
Welcome back Les, it cost me $400 this past spring to keep a bear (or two) out of my bees.