Author Topic: Used milk tanks  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Used milk tanks
« on: March 06, 2018, 04:37:06 pm »
I've been on the prowl for a decent used milk tank to replace my smaller 50 gallon milk tank as my primary. The one I have now works well, it is jacketed and has 2 immersion heaters in it, but I can fill it easy in a day and then extracting grinds to a halt until things settle out. Even then I can only pump half of it over to my 25 gallon bottler, where things again have to settle out before bottling.
I need a bigger primary so that I can extract for a few days without stopping. A larger dairy tank seems to be the idea, but my largest door on my honey house is 36" wide so I have to be aware of that.
I found a beauty back in Lunenburg (an hour away) that is mint, no dents, etc, but is a 1500 liter tank (380 gallons). It's 4' x 8' once the compressor (that doesn't work or is needed) is removed. I'm thinking it would be a bear to move and would have to be turned on its side to fit through the door.

There is this other tank, 180 gallons, that is in good shape, a lot smaller but I think it would do. It isn't shiny stainless on the outside but that is only an esthetic thing, it's stainless inside. This tank is about 5 minutes down the road and would probably be a lot easier to flip on its side to get through the door. I'm leaning towards it.

A squirrel even came out to urge me to buy it maybe?

I would end up connecting it to my hot water tank and then use a circulating pump to run hot water through it to warm up the honey when needed.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: Used milk tanks
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 05:12:55 pm »
Well the squirrel looks healthy enough. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 10:43:28 pm »
the man doors on my workshop & bee shed are commercial grade hollow metal doors & frames & are 4'0" & 3'6". old habits. overbuild.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:31:50 am »
Looks like a floor reinforcement may be in the works.  :yes:

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 08:42:20 am »
Looks like a floor reinforcement may be in the works.  :yes:

I will probably do some with the smaller tank but nothing too serious, as long as I spread out the weight on the legs. The trailer is designed to hold 100 lbs. per sq. ft.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 03:43:35 pm »
How much is the squirrel asking?  And what's the currency he/she is asking?  Pecans, walnuts, peanuts? Is it by weight or piece?  Is weight imperial or metric?

You gotta get all of your facts out in the open before trying to make a deal with a squirrel. 

I understand that they can change the deal with the swish of a tail, and your left holding your nuts in your hand without a milk can.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 05:03:26 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 07:33:08 am »
How much is the squirrel asking?  And what's the currency he/she is asking?  Pecans, walnuts, peanuts? Is it by weight or piece?  Is weight imperial or metric?

You gotta get all of your facts out in the open before trying to make a deal with a squirrel. 

I understand that they can change the deal with the swish of a tail, and your left holding your nuts in your hand without a milk can.

LOL, coffee on the keyboard....

Where there is will you can find a way Perry. What do you want the most?  That trailer was big too but you got it installed and filled with gear.    ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 07:19:14 pm »
The small will hold roughly 2000 lb Thats over 3 barrels of honey. I would go with that one if the price is right.it should be 1/2 the price of the large tank. maybe even less as it is not a stainless steel outer shell.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 08:57:35 pm »
The small will hold roughly 2000 lb Thats over 3 barrels of honey. I would go with that one if the price is right.it should be 1/2 the price of the large tank. maybe even less as it is not a stainless steel outer shell.

They are both the same price, $500.
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 11:21:44 pm »
use the price on the big to negotiate a better price on the small. or get the big, you do not have to fill up the big one all the way. The big one will cost you to get someone to vacuum the freon out of the system unless it is empty all ready.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.