Author Topic: new surprise  (Read 17327 times)

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
new surprise
« on: December 28, 2013, 05:42:19 pm »
The wife and me went to feed the cows.........two new additions to the family.
The neighbors black angus bull got in with my charolais cows, that makes what is called smokey's

only took pic of one the other is a little darker,

Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Finally Home

Re: new surprise
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 05:54:05 pm »
Very cool.  Nice lookin fellar!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 06:50:01 pm »
very cool on the new additions g!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 07:14:20 pm »
Twins?  My neighbor has a cow of that breeding. Dusty. She is about 8 years old and must weigh close to a ton. The fellow keeps her too fat and she has had some hard times calving but her calves are good gainers.
Frank

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 07:11:30 pm »
Nope not twins, two different cows.

This is the other one, had not moved, went and checked on him and he has contracted tendons on all four legs. Loaded him in the back of wife's car and brought him to the barn. Tubed him and poured in a quart of colostrum.
What is on his legs you ask?  Contracted tendons is a slight birth defect, the tendons that pull the hooves back are either short or just not stretched out. Luckily his were just not stretched out. This causes him to stand on his knuckles instead of his hooves. Used some thin wood splints and masking tape to straighten them out, thus stretching them. After a couple of hours of splints and a hot meal he is already doing better. Will try to get mama cow in the barn with him tomorrow, she can feed him better than me.

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 07:17:49 pm »
Doctor George will take good care of him.

Hope he comes out well.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 07:24:51 pm »
A mini van? We have a new (to us) one, a 2009 Dodge! Love it.
If I ever put a calf in it, my wife would have one.  :o
Don't you have a truck for that? LOL
Good on you for taking good care of your stock G3.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 07:35:34 pm »
2010 Dodge Journey, she was the one that popped the hatch open LOL

Yes my truck was parked right in front of her car but packed to the gills with tools, he would have had to ride on the hood or tool box. He will make it just fine, hard part will be getting him to suck on mama, sometimes that can be a real rodeo too.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:27:39 pm »
There are times I am glad I dont have to deal with cows anymore.. and then there are pics like this that make me miss it.
   If that little fella hasnt been nursing momma is probably pretty tight by now, bet she'd welcome the relief!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 01:48:14 pm »
Can be such sweet critters or total pains in the back side when they decide it's adventure time. Do miss watching them buck and dance at that age.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 05:26:23 pm »
black Angus bull got in with my Charolais cows

Not a bad combination, could be a lot worse if it was a Jersey or Holstein bull. But I would still go to the neighbor and demand child support. If only to get a reaction out of him.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 05:47:53 pm »
Awesome! :photos:

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 09:03:44 am »
 :laugh: :laugh:

Child support, now that is funny. Will have to remember that one!

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 09:41:31 pm »
Hey G3 i'm 7 from 8 so far and had to pull the last one last Friday. The one i lost was just fine the day before and i found her by the hay rack and she couldn't get up. Took it to the Vet. and he said it didn't show any glucose in it's blood? that he has seen alot of it this year and to keep an eye out for weakness in the calfs. Jack

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 09:57:55 pm »
So your calf was a diabetic?

Sounds like a glucose IV would have helped, just a guess though.

7 for 8 ain't too bad either.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 10:04:09 pm »
They tried the IV but it didn't respond and put it down. It cost me $125.00 for something i pretty well knew anyway, but you have to try. :sad: Jack

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 08:42:02 am »
You sound like me, will give it a try but rarely spend over $150 on a new calf, can buy one at the stock yard for way cheaper than that.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 09:00:48 am »
I'm not to sure about that ??? i've seen sick looking baby calves bring over $200.00 at the yards, it's getting crazy. :o Jack

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 11:49:14 am »
WOW!!! that could be better than $2 a pound and still have a vet bill on top of that and then not even guaranteed the calf will make it.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 07:20:20 pm »
I was going to buy a couple fresh weaned calves to put in our pasture this year...   $300.00 each...   were getting a couple pigs instead..   Easier to buy half a cow from the locker than it is to raise them.

*Sponsor*

Offline rcannon

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 08:59:20 pm »
From what I'm hearing, expect beef prices to continue to climb. Between the hard winter thinning the herds and feed corn being diverted to ethanol production, the supply is going to come up short for a few years.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 09:26:10 pm »
I've heard and know of some beef farmers that have gave it up, said there not going to fight it anymore. :o I know of only 2 dairy farmers left in my area, most took the Gov, buy out and went to beef farms and some of them gave that up and sold out. With a 700 lb. steer bringing $1,000.00 + it sounds like farmers are getting rich, but with the price of fuel,gas, feed,fertilizer, seed, Vets. just to name some of the expense, farmers are still scraping by, the only difference is there just handling larger amounts of money that they don't get to keep. ??? Jack

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 09:57:58 pm »
I've heard and know of some beef farmers that have gave it up, said there not going to fight it anymore. :o I know of only 2 dairy farmers left in my area, most took the Gov, buy out and went to beef farms and some of them gave that up and sold out. With a 700 lb. steer bringing $1,000.00 + it sounds like farmers are getting rich, but with the price of fuel,gas, feed,fertilizer, seed, Vets. just to name some of the expense, farmers are still scraping by, the only difference is there just handling larger amounts of money that they don't get to keep. ??? Jack

There is more truth to that than most people know Jack.  My wife asked why I didnt farm the family ground instead of cash leasing it..   So I set up a list of expenses JUST to get started with good used equipment. Field prep with anhydrous etc, etc...   She decided maybe cash rent was better. We already have tractors and some equipment to boot.
   There IS money to be made, but you have to have money to make that money. All it takes is a series of ANY events that drain the reserves and your out of business.
  As far as ethanol and a shortage of supply.prices for corn etc...
   We have the production in this country to supply half the world with ethanol and still have plenty of corn for feed/etc, IF the govt didnt send most of it overseas.  Keeping what we produce will never happen though. The Govt makes too much money in exporting our produce.
   Alternative fuels will NEVER happen so long as our current form of government continues to control so much of our lives.

Alcohol in gasoline (Gasahol) is pointless. It takes more alcohol to run a gas engine than it does gasoline. the only thing alcohol does in fuel is tear up our engines and fuel systems.
   In a standard engine designed for gasoline. alcohol is not fuel efficient because it takes so much MORE of it to produce the same power.
   IF.. engines were designed to run specifically on alcohol, they would be even MORE fuel efficient, produce more power, and run cleaner, but they don't want people to know that. We won't even begin to talk Hydrogen anyone can make from water...

*Sponsor*