Author Topic: my lil chicken critters.  (Read 23175 times)

Offline mamapoppybee

my lil chicken critters.
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:00:45 pm »
some of you have been asking me about what kind of chickens i have well  here are afew pics.

this is chilly my lone ranger at the moment.

this is lemon a frizzle cochin. yes he is named because he looks like something off the lemon lot.

these are lemons ladies sophia is the mottled cochin and luna is the gray.

this is my assorted pen i have americanas barred rocks RIR and splash marans. could not decide what birds i liked best so got some of each.

Offline Walt B

• Red Gate Farm
Re: my lil chicken critters.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 02:03:21 pm »
Pretty birds. We have Black Australorps...17 of them. The ladies were getting older, so we figured to get a dozen chicks in the spring and figured a couple would die and a couple would be roosters. Well, none died and there were no roosters. The chickens are giving us between 9 and 12 eggs per day...there's just the 2 of us, so our neighbors are quite pleased with their egg windfall.

What I find best about chikens is that they are such incredibly silly birds. Could watch them for hours.  :D

Walt
Red Gate Farm
Stamp Out Racism

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:45:48 pm »
I had chickens in the 80's, started with a dozen leghorns. Beautiful egg laying, rarely missed a day but man were they a nervous bird. Switched to Golden Comets after that, a real nice bird with nice eggs.
I ended up with Banties mostly, smaller eggs but 3 times the fun to watch! Broody as all get out and would set on anything!
I also had a couple of Salmon Faverolles just cause I though they looked weird.
If I wasn't worried about my neighbours who are just now adjusting to having a beekeeper for a neighbour, I'd have chickens again as well.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 02:54:28 pm »
perry im sure you could slip some bantams in. the cuteness of them kinda take over.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 06:01:41 pm »
OK.. dont have a GOOD picture but maybe someone will recognize what kinda chicken our rooster is.  Wife calls him boots because he has feathers all around his feet;
  Not good pictures.. if these arent good enough I'll catch him and hold him up for his big screen debut.

Hes the black and white one that isnt a red, Buff or Barred rock :P
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 07:50:17 pm »
I have 7 total. 1 buff, 3 barred, 2 new hampshire reds and a buff rooster. They are really fun to watch. One of the reds follows me around like a little puppy. The rooster is really jealous.  :P

Offline DMLinton

• Member, Tundra Division
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 07:56:26 pm »
LazyBkpr, from what I can see, your rooster looks like a Dark Brahma - a very docile breed and very Winter hardy.  Does he have a rose comb?

The hens are easier to figure out - Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks and the buff ones might be Buff Orpingtons.
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014..

Offline minz

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 12:20:20 am »
We need to eat the Buff.  That thing eats twice what the others do, and never lays.  Whenever a dog gets one it always has to be the White Leghorn that is laying 360 a year.  Right now we are at 5 and getting a couple of eggs a day.  If we do not get daylight pretty quick we will have to buy some eggs!
Here is an old shot of my tractor when it was well painted (2010) move it between rows to let them keep the weeds down but they got into something and killed 3 of them.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 08:08:44 am »
Minz, I really like the idea of the tractor, especially with the run that can be put between the rows. Great idea!
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 09:44:20 am »
Thats pretty slick...   Would certainly keep the chickens out of the tomatoes.. as it is here, the wife just lets them out, and for some reason they seem to LOVE pecking holes in the tomatoes.   Only thing in the garden they seem to bother.

*Sponsor*

Offline minz

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 04:01:48 pm »
They peck holes in any and everything red.  The blueberries go from green, to red to blue and they tear them up.  They also take a dust bath in the top soil (dig big holes and throw dirt on everything. 

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 10:28:59 am »
some how they know reds are fruits they love my strawberries and maters. they also eat a crap load of kale. i try to plant some along coops edge just for them. I love mitz weed control system. Lots of pretty birds and happy to see i'm not the only one that couldn't decide what breed to get and stick with lol.

Offline Walt B

• Red Gate Farm
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 05:00:59 pm »
I was out today to take some photos of the cows (mama and baby) next door and the chickens saw me. They're sure I've got "treats" for them.

They were a little disappointed. All that happened was I took their picture.  :sad:

Walt
Red Gate Farm
Stamp Out Racism

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 11:31:31 am »

setting first batch of eggs to hatch! I will candle in about 5 to 7 days time to see if eggs are all developing. then again the week after. If all gose well our lock down date is march 8th and we should start seeing chicks round the 10th and 11th. Lock down is done on day 18  from when you have set your eggs. I dont have a turner so i hand turn them all thus lockdown is important. Cant wait to see what birds come out of this becuse mine are a mixed flock.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 08:19:22 pm »
I wantd to hatch a few this spring and see what we got, but the wife says 7 - 9 eggs a day is plenty.   :(

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 08:31:22 pm »

setting first batch of eggs to hatch! I will candle in about 5 to 7 days time to see if eggs are all developing. then again the week after. If all gose well our lock down date is march 8th and we should start seeing chicks round the 10th and 11th. Lock down is done on day 18  from when you have set your eggs. I dont have a turner so i hand turn them all thus lockdown is important. Cant wait to see what birds come out of this becuse mine are a mixed flock.

Interesting variety of colours there.  8)
Forum Supporter

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 08:38:06 pm »
the dark brown one is a black copper maran the greenish are my americanas the lil white one is a chochin bantam and some of the tans and barred rocks and naked necks. lazy my friend had her coop attacked by panther and is wanting to start over with not alot of money out so im hatching these for her.

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 11:11:46 am »
did my first candle today and so far only three of them look like duds. gonna leave them three more days and if nothing then to trash with um. the others look great lots of veining.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 12:05:28 pm »
Wow! Nice take! good rooster you got.
   Found one of our barred rocks dead this morning. Not sure what happened to her. Not a mark on her, and she was running about yesterday with the others just fine.  So were down to 12 Hens and Boots. They are laying very prolifically right now. Got more eggs than we know what to do with!
   Quiche, Egg Sandwiches, scrambled eggs, Hard boiled eggs, Pickled eggs, Omelets, etc, etc...  NEVER thought I would get tired of eating eggs, but yes.. I AM!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 12:21:50 pm »
Lazy! sell em in your store! with a sign out front "Fresh Eggs"

I have a client that brings me fresh eggs every two weeks, I'm ecstatic!
There Is Peace In The Queendom