Author Topic: Camcote  (Read 22891 times)

Offline Finally Home

Re: Camcote
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 10:47:57 pm »
Thanks for the info. What are the screens for?  Mine has the coned bottom and bearing as well.
I'm going to be ordering the camcote tomorrow. I sanded the entire unit and I painted the outside yesterday.  Will be making some sort of platform for it.  Guess I'll find out the balance on it this year.  When spinning empty it doesn't move at all.  Very stable. 

Offline skydiver

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 09:12:16 am »
The screens I feel just support the hole face of the combs so they are less likely to be damage during the extraction process and are removable for cleaning purposes. Another thing to keep from damaging the combs is to extract the first face only hale way at a slower speed rotate to the second face extract all the way then go back to the first face and finish. My extractor runs smooth empty as well but does shake if combs are not the same weight all through the extraction process. Mine is a four frame and all four basket rotate at the same time through linkage to the brake hub. Because  the dia. is large enough for the four baskets to swing all at the same time and clear center shaft of the real I was able to build a new 20 frame radial real, love the 5 X capacity. When you run your extractor leave the gate valve open so the honey does not get deep enough to get in the lower bearing. When I dismantle the extractor for a complete clean out I place a plastic sandwich bag over it with a rubber band to keep the wash out water out of the bearing. Good luck happy extracting  :)
skydivers do not want to jump to a conclusion!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 01:53:01 pm »
Just got my quart of Camcoat today..   I hope a quart is enough, but I have my doubts since I need to coat the basket too!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 06:02:15 pm »
Skydiver,   thanks for the info.  I'm sure it does move when a tad out of balance.  Nice to dream though :laugh:  Appreciate the extra tips on the gate valve open and covering the bearing for cleaning.  Should make my job much easier.

Scott,  I think the camcote said it covers like 300-400 square feet.  I'll get mine ordered tomorrow.  Too late to do it now.  Let me know how it works for you.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 06:20:40 pm »
Will do!!  Still trying to find someone to media or sand blast this thing..   going to be a LOT of sanding and scraping otherwise.

*Sponsor*

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 06:38:52 pm »
I used a 3M rubber finger type disc on my angle grinder.  Inside and outside in a little over an hour.  Then about 10 minutes with an abrasive scrubber pad for the inside corners at the bottom.  Wasn't too bad.  Painted alum. hammered rustoleum on the outside.  Needs a second coat yet.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 07:06:13 pm »
I do a lot of body work so the tools arent the problem with the old extractor I have. Thge problem is that it wasnt even rinsed after its last use. There is a crust 1/8th of an inch of more covering the inside AND the basket. The top o the crust is HARD, but under it is nasty softness that seems specifically designed to gum up sand paper and grinding disks. I have scraped a lot of it out already, what remains is just ugly, but i will figure something out!!!

*Sponsor*

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 07:58:18 pm »
Yum - Yum.....  Understood.  Mine had a coat of greenish something inside. Came off easy though.  Also galvanized.  Wonder if you could set a couple light bulbs underneath to soften it up to make scraping a tad simpler??

Offline skydiver

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 07:13:04 pm »
If I had one with the build up you people have I would just dismantle load it up and go to self serve car wash then proceed with the project.  ;)

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 07:57:19 pm »
If I had one with the build up you people have I would just dismantle load it up and go to self serve car wash then proceed with the project.  ;)

Not a bad idea  C:-)  Still have plenty of time for that.  Already dismantled - Hmmmmmmm

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 10:50:20 pm »
I doubt the carwash would have much of an effect.. considering using a local shops steam cleaner though. Heat and water pressure might do the job.

*Sponsor*

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 06:07:18 am »
I doubt the carwash would have much of an effect.. considering using a local shops steam cleaner though. Heat and water pressure might do the job.

Customer of mine lets me use their hotsy.  Plus its inside  :)

Offline skydiver

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 07:54:46 am »
"Customer of mine lets me use their hotsy.  Plus its inside "   All the better. I have put my tankless water heater, set to the max 160 deg,  and pressure washer, 3000psi, to use to clean mine up the first time. Just trying to get the thinker going and it is.  :)

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 04:07:01 pm »
Ya got mine going.  Thanks  8)

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2014, 04:45:22 pm »
Well I got my can of Camcote....  Brushy Mountain website and catalog says it will cover 300-400 square feet.  Label on the can says it will cover 50 square feet (depending on surfaces) :-X :-\ :-X :-\ :o :o   That's a pretty far stretch.  Guess as long as there is enough to cover my extractor (twice) I won't complain  8)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 12:13:03 am »
Well I got my can of Camcote....  Brushy Mountain website and catalog says it will cover 300-400 square feet.  Label on the can says it will cover 50 square feet (depending on surfaces) :-X :-\ :-X :-\ :o :o   That's a pretty far stretch.  Guess as long as there is enough to cover my extractor (twice) I won't complain  8)

YUP!!!   I am likely going to have to order another can.. they dont look so big when holding them in your hand.

*Sponsor*

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 06:22:34 am »
My thought exactly.  Haven't opened the can yet to see if it will be ok to do in the basement or if I'll have to take it out to the shed.  Don't need to fumagate the whole house :D

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 12:56:38 pm »
I can't swear to it, but I think I saw a "BeWare BeeWare" bee supply ad in old American Bee Journal volumes from around 1920.

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 03:21:32 pm »
I can't swear to it, but I think I saw a "BeWare BeeWare" bee supply ad in old American Bee Journal volumes from around 1920.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  I'll have to do some digging. Don't think I have any Bee Journal mags but do have Gleanings in Bee Cultures mags back to 1903. 
Thanks for the heads up.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 04:26:55 pm »
Use caution when using high temp water when washing out the extractors as water temp above 145 deg will melt any bees wax particles and the wax will coat the metal and keep the paint from bonding. 120 deg will dissolve any honey crystals with out melting the wax particles.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.